GoPro Dive Housing Thread... Any Leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-How many dives has the housing been on?
-What was your max depth?
-Do you have a red filter (which requires unscrewing of the OE lens)?
-Does it leak?

GoPro 3
150+ dives
42m
No, red filter clips over the lens and is awful. No longer used.
No leaks

O ring wiped with a lint free cloth after rinse and dry. Occasional light grease and wipe.

I hope no one is that unlucky! No, I have lost and dropped a few of those while diving. Only three were due to housing issues. When I returned the brand new one to the dive shop I brought it from, they took one look and said it was the screw. You could actually see the cluster of cracks coming from around the screw. This was the deep dive housing that is rated for up to 200' so it has about 8 screws on the front.

Go Pro 3 Silver
A dozen or so dives
100 feet give or take a few feet
No filter
No leaks
I check and clean the seal after every dive

Go Pro 4 Silver
Standard GoPro dive housing rated to 40m
Around 10 days freediving mostly to 25m / 80 ft but several to 36m / 120 ft.

No problems with leakage.

I clean and lightly grease with silicon grease.

GoPro3 Black with the standard waterproof housing it came with.
About 90 dives with the deepest being 35m (115ft).
Always treated with minimal care; banged around; not always soaked in fresh water after a dive; greased the seal maybe twice in its life.
Never had even a hint of a flood.

In comparison, I have 3 friends who use Intova cameras and every single one of them has lost at least one camera through flooding (one flooded two Intovas in a handful of dives).

One person that own a cheap action camera. When it's that cheap... I dun really care....

Just got 2 GoPro Hero3+ for fish survey purpose, they both leak at second dive and third dive.

Max depth: 15m
No filter.
Both leak from power button. (saw the water only around power button).

I must have the worst luck with Gopros. I lost 2 due to leaks. 1 i know was my fault, there was a pinched O ring.minor leak camera survived. Hero 3 silver didn't survive my last dive. 134' max depth 68 min dive 54F temp. major flood. I double checked and had a clean O ring and pretty new case. like 4 dives old. I'm done with Gopro. I like the camera and housing one piece Edge that just came on the market. Gopro is a great camera just the clam shell housing IMHO sux.

GoPro 3+ Silver and dive housing
30 dives
Anywhere between 40 and 110 feet
Backscatter red filter
No leaks and no condensation

About 30 dives on my Silver 4, some well over 100 feet and many in that depth range. I have the dive housing with the updated clear back for the 4 models. No problems, no condensation, no leaks. I use the little condensation squares in my housing. Wipe the seal gently each time I close it. Seems pretty fool proof.

Are some people leaving the camera stored in the housing with the back closed? If so, stop doing that.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom