GoPro For Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this with a red filter? Or, were you really shallow?

Sorry for the late reply Sinclair 9. I took the photograph of the white spotted filefish in 50 feet of water. I did not have any other lighting. I was fairly close to him.

Sosha, I did not have a red filter at the time. I have one now and find it is useful below 30 feet.

Hey just wondering if there are any side by side videos of the dive housing & the blur filx liens?? going to be doing alot of diving this winter and going to get a gopro and the dive housing but then started thinging about the flat lens....

so if you own/used both plz do tell us your thoughts...
cheers
Deva

---------- Post Merged at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:27 PM ----------

oh also does anyone know if there are red filters for the dive housing?

My question on video lights - I have a HD Hero (not the Hero II) and normally shoot underwater in R3 with 170º FOV I just can;t seem to find a light that covers the area being filmed, and it seems with that high of a FOV, I won't be able to. Even moving to R5 at 127º FOV that's still a lot of area to cover with a light.

Does anyone use a light that fills the frame at 170º FOV?

@ Lizard Leg. I use a SeaLife video light, but just one (too cheap to buy the second, but it'll come) and it is not big enough to cover the entire frame, I'm left with a circle of light that I edit out in stills or leave in the video.

Check out the lighting on this thread. Barkley Sound, Vancouver Island cjfox has two lights and covers the entire frame, good looking footage.

Does anyone use a light that fills the frame at 170º FOV?
You're probably not going to find a video light that provides 170o coverage. You really want two to eliminate harsh shadows.

The widest I've seen is the I-Torch at 110o - IDK anything about it. $499. I-Torch Video Pro4 - Dive Torch and Underwater Video Light - 1300 Lumen

They also have a couple less expensive models with an 80o beam. (Video Pro and Pro Mini) The Pro Mini is smaller also so might work better with the GoPro. I-Torch - The Smarter Dive Light - Best LED Dive light technology Video Tech and Recreational Lights

The Pro Mini is $295. Focus/Video Lights :: Focus Lights :: iTorch Pro-Mini Focus/Video Light -

I bought mine for snorkeling and have switched to using it while diving.

578574_10151205719115943_1114109000_n.jpg

-Drew

hiking pole go pro mount

I love my GoPro - I use the Snake River Prototyping with the SWCY red filter - seems to work pretty good down to 40' or so in clear water. I made my own "poke it with a stick" pole. Let's me get the camera right in their face.

Pic of the pole:
View attachment 129077

A simple hiking pole, a rubber expansion nut and some 1/4-20 SS hardware from Home Depot, and a tripod adapter from GoPro. I can send pictures and directions if anyone wants.

GoPro vid -please be kind - this was taken during our OW check out dives and the dives we did right after that. Have used the camera a lot fo snorkeling, free diving, but this is my first shot at scuba video. No color correction - a little bit of contrast in post and edited each clip for length -that's it.

This is an outstanding idea. Would love to see how you attached the hardware to the end of the hiking pole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom