GoPro Hero 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coral Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, has anyone tried the GoPro Hero 7 underwater?

I have the Hero 4, so I'm seriously considering an upgrade.

Would I need underwater filters, or is the auto white balance going to compensate appropriately for depth? Does anyone have experience on this subject with the Hero 6 or 7?

Any specific accessories that would be recommended?

in that comparison though, you would have the macromate mini for the gopro, so much better shots for stuff like nudis.

or a video light that will help the gopro turn out better footage than the paralenz. gopro 7 also has hyperlapse and 4k60.

paralenz was a good idea when it came out, but the price point is too high now since the specs are outdated.

Does anyone know if the GoPro Hero 6/7's white balance actually works sufficiently at depths of 50-100 feet, or if I'd need a filter as well. There are some youtube videos showing how it auto white balances, but for all I know, those were shot at a depth of 15 feet.

Totally need filters at 50ft+ with the hero six, only time I don’t use filters is when i have my 2 x 2500’s running.

in that comparison though, you would have the macromate mini for the gopro, so much better shots for stuff like nudis.

or a video light that will help the gopro turn out better footage than the paralenz. gopro 7 also has hyperlapse and 4k60.

paralenz was a good idea when it came out, but the price point is too high now since the specs are outdated.

Specs are outdated. 4k at 30 fps. LOL Okay, whatever you say. Oh, what was that? You need a light to make your video look good? The price is equivalent to a GP because with the GP you have to buy all of the extra accessories just to use it underwater.

It will be interesting to see what the next Paralenz will do. I have the plus + model and right now I have zero complaints as an action camera designed for diving, rather than trying to make an action camera designed for the surface to work underwater.

If you want NatGeo quality video, you won't use either. If you just want to set it and forget it to film your dive and not have to edit color later on, or ruin your video closer to, or on the surface, because you forgot to flip your filter back, get a Paralenz. I literally dive, cut the clip and upload my videos.

... all this from someone who owns both a GP and Paralenz. GoPro is for above water.

Buy a Paralenz. After you buy a GP, then a dive housing, then filters, you could have just bought an action camera made for diving.
But the Paralenz has no monitor to actually frame your shots and inferior image stabilization...

Does anyone know if the GoPro Hero 6/7's white balance actually works sufficiently at depths of 50-100 feet, or if I'd need a filter as well. There are some youtube videos showing how it auto white balances, but for all I know, those were shot at a depth of 15 feet.
You need a filter, or better yet, good video lights (you really need that on any camera at depth, including Paralenz, if you want the most accurate color, good sharpness and reduced noise) ...or you can just adjust it in post processing, if so inclined.

Specs are outdated. 4k at 30 fps. LOL Okay, whatever you say. Oh, what was that? You need a light to make your video look good? The price is equivalent to a GP because with the GP you have to buy all of the extra accessories just to use it underwater.

It will be interesting to see what the next Paralenz will do. I have the plus + model and right now I have zero complaints as an action camera designed for diving, rather than trying to make an action camera designed for the surface to work underwater.

If you want NatGeo quality video, you won't use either. If you just want to set it and forget it to film your dive and not have to edit color later on, or ruin your video closer to, or on the surface, because you forgot to flip your filter back, get a Paralenz. I literally dive, cut the clip and upload my videos.

... all this from someone who owns both a GP and Paralenz. GoPro is for above water.
Seriously? Other than the depth based color adjustments (which is not fully correct as it only adjusts based on depth), the Paralenz has no real advantage over the GoPro (and several disadvantages).

gopro 6 and 7 are 4k60, so yes 4k30 is outdated. GP needs a supersuit housing and flip filter system, so 150 dollars at backscatter. Last I checked 400 + 150 is 550 which is less than 700. or skip the filters and spend 300 on a 3000 lm to 4000 lm video light.

Back
Top Bottom