GoPro Hero 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the Paralenz has no monitor to actually frame your shots and inferior image stabilization...
Seriously? Other than the depth based color adjustments (which is not fully correct as it only adjusts based on depth), the Paralenz has no real advantage over the GoPro (and several disadvantages).

Yes, seriously. If you need a screen to frame an action camera then you're just simply not good ast filming with a wide lens action camera.

Haha! Um, your red filter is wrong at every depth. Have fun color correcting in post production. My life is too busy to be spent behind a computer screen editing video.

Dude, this is the third time you've tried to knock my posts. First you said Paralenz can't be better than GP. Then you said the Shearwater Teric won't be that great with four buttons. Now you're doing it again here.

I've got some questions for you because I'm unsure of your experience...

Do you own the Paralenz?

Do you own a GoPro?

Do you shoot video?

If so, why don't you ever post it on ScubaBoard?

Let's see your videos?

Do you even dive?

gopro 6 and 7 are 4k60, so yes 4k30 is outdated. GP needs a supersuit housing and flip filter system, so 150 dollars at backscatter. Last I checked 400 + 150 is 550 which is less than 700. or skip the filters and spend 300 on a 3000 lm to 4000 lm video light.

On sale here for $539 Paralenz Dive Camera | Evolve USA I suspect the price will get better as the new company starts making money...

Hey, you guys keep supporting GP, I'm going to go support a company that is trying to make a camera specifically for divers.

On sale here for $539 Paralenz Dive Camera | Evolve USA I suspect the price will get better as the new company starts making money...

Hey, you guys keep supporting GP, I'm going to go support a company that is trying to make a camera specifically for divers.

To be clear, that price is for the older model. I have the newer “+” model and I am loving it. I use it on my mask strap.

Set and Forget... the Green DCC is working great in the local quarry.

To be clear, that price is for the older model. I have the newer “+” model and I am loving it. I use it on my mask strap.

Set and Forget... the Green DCC is working great in the local quarry.
I have the plus model too. I had the original model, but had an issue and they just sent me the plus, no questions asked. Their customer service has been lights out and they have a great support group on facebook.

Wow - where to start? First off the OP was asking about upgrading from a Hero 4 to a Hero 7 and you answered with your personal crusade about Paralenz (and unwarranted GoPro bashing) - without actually answering his question.
Yes, seriously. If you need a screen to frame an action camera then you're just simply not good ast filming with a wide lens action camera.

That is BS - as I stated previously, I don't use the wide setting and actually like to see what I'm filming for framing and lighting. Not all of us are mounting cameras on our masks and blindly shooting FPS/DOOM style footage of spearing fish!

Haha! Um, your red filter is wrong at every depth. Have fun color correcting in post production. My life is too busy to be spent behind a computer screen editing video.
The filters are actually spot on at some depths and good enough over the ranges they cover for non-professional use. I'm usually just filming short clips at a pretty constant depth - so grading in post would not be a big deal. Below ~ 60 feet, lights are really the only way to get good footage if you want accurate color as there just is not enough light penetrating to that depth (lights are better at shallower depths too - but filters are convenient in the shallower water).

I also previously acknowledged that the Paralenz is a good choice if you want reasonably decent color straight out of the camera without any post processing!

Dude, this is the third time you've tried to knock my posts. First you said Paralenz can't be better than GP. Then you said the Shearwater Teric won't be that great with four buttons. Now you're doing it again here.

Geez, do you keep a list? But a nice try at revisionist history! Inever said that about the Paralenz: I merely questioned your claim that it was night and day better than a GoPro. You can refresh your skewed memory here:
Paralenz

With respect to the Teric, you also are completely misrepresenting what I said. The beautiful thing about the internet is that I can retrieve old posts to show how disingenuous you are being:

The Shearwater Teric Announced

As you can see, I merely questioned what benefit the 4 buttons would offer as the Perdix AI 2 button interface was super intuitive and extremely easy to use. Unlike you, others in the thread actually provided insights as to what the 4 button interface might improve. I actually have a Teric - do you? The 3 button interface (as 1 button is pretty much for setting screen brightness as there is no auto brightness) is nice and makes it easier to navigate forward and backward through settings - but not really a big deal versus my Perdix AI for recreational diving use. The really big upgrades are the awesome AMOLED screen, smaller form factor and wireless charging.

I've got some questions for you because I'm unsure of your experience...
Do you own the Paralenz?
No - as stated previously, I would not buy a camera without a monitor! Do you own a GoPro Hero 6 or Hero 7?

Do you own a GoPro?
Yes - I have a Hero 3+ and a Hero 6. The 6 is a montrous improvement over the 3 +. The 7 looks like a nice improvement as well with even better image stabilization and you can now stabilize 4K footage (even at 60 fps).

Do you shoot video?
Yes - short clips. I have lots of clips from the last few years and plan on doing more editing into actual videos when I finish building my new computer - old one is not up to the task for high rez video.

If so, why don't you ever post it on ScubaBoard?
Yes - I have on a few occasions. Just short unedited clips. I typically shoot videos for my own memories and to show my wife (non diver) and friends/family what I see underwater - not to post publicly for feedback.

Let's see your videos?
Find them yourself!

Do you even dive?
Yes - why do you ask? I just got certified in 2015, and have no interest in cold water, low viz diving here in NJ, so am a warm water tropical diver and take a few trips to the Caribbean every year. I am PADI AOW and Nitrox certified. I have 164 logged dives so far and my next trip is Bonaire in November. Is that all OK with you? Does it meet your standards for me to participate here?

Buy a Paralenz. After you buy a GP, then a dive housing, then filters, you could have just bought an action camera made for diving.

Thanks for mentioning the Paralenz. Before I read your post, I didn't even know such a dive camera existed. So after a bit of research, I went to a dive shop, bought a Paralenz+, and tested it in the lake today. It works exactly as advertised, except for the iPhone App, which is pretty useless as far as transferring the videos are concerned. :(
Luckily, these can be transferred to a laptop with the supplied USB cable, but still ...

Now, if only I could find a justification to buy also one of these great GoPro Hero Black 7 video cameras that just came out a few weeks ago ... :wink:

Hi, has anyone tried the GoPro Hero 7 underwater?

I have the Hero 4, so I'm seriously considering an upgrade.
I haven't tried a Paralenz, but I love my GP6. The GP 7 looks awesome with a better mic for above shots, far better anti-shakes and it uses the same accessories as the 6. Go with the Flip6 filters from Backscatter: FLIP6 One Filter Kit with DIVE Filter for GoPro 3, 3+, 4, 5, 6, 7 I also use their Isotta housing: Isotta GoPro 6 Underwater Housing for GoPro HERO5, HERO6 & HERO7 Black Cameras. It's a bit expensive but worth it, worth it, worth it. First, it's a better quality housing. Second, it uses BackScatter's Flip Filter system (not all do). Finally, I don't have to take the lens cover off to use it. FWIW, I need the monitor to make great pics. That might mean I'm a noob or can't shoot video, but I know what I need. Here's a sample of my work with a GoPro 6 and filters:

Back
Top Bottom