Gopro Hero 9 rig - dual light recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrettSeattle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, appreciate the help and community here. I am looking to improve my GoPro rig, having just upgraded from a handle with a wrist mounted 700 ish lumen light. I just picked up a Big Blue tray with all the essential connectors. Am thinking about getting the extender arms.

What lights are a good medium-investment for tropical dives? Budget around $500 for both lights. Dive conditions will be typical tropical 50-100’ (Cozumel or Hawaii) and video footage will be 4K of critters, scenery, dive buddies, eels, sharks, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

So, why are you looking for a pair of lights? What I have been told is that it is generally better to try to get one bigger, more powerful light than two less powerful ones.

Well, for video lights the recommendation is to have a wide angle and as powerful as you budget allows. Some people here like the Big Blue lights (I don't have them, but I saw one 8000 lumen one that was very bright underwater). I have also heard of Nanight Lights (which are swedish, I think) and each 4000 lumen video light goes for about 320 USD.

Taking Big Blue as an example, for that budget, you would have dual Black Molly IV: 1800-Lumen Video LightSKU: AL1800XWP-TC-II | Bigblue Dive Lights as an option or a single 6500-Lumen Video Light | CB6500P | Bigblue Dive Lights.

I would go for the bigger one and save for another one later on, if ever needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom