GoPro Hero2 -- Big review, comparisons, suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conradb212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started playing around with GoPros about a year ago, took it to Socorro, Isla Mujeres, Isla Coronados and was initially frustrated until I learned of the underwater blur-fix solutions. Went with EyeOfMine, did a big, long review of the Hero just days before the Hero2 came out. Got one of those, did some fairly detailed comparisons with the original Hero, took it to Roatan for some underwater testing, and now just finished a big review of the Hero2 that shows what's changed, all the new modes, the new interface, some comparison video, the BacPac, the guts and specs of the Hero2, video lights, and some Hero2 video.

If you want to see the Hero2 review, it's here.

The video below is a six minute YouTube Hero2 sample from Roatan.

[video=youtube;kdXunNSlJRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kdXunNSlJRQ[/video]

Thanks for the link to the review as well as the video :D

I have the original HD hero, and am contemplating upgrading to the Hero 2. Bottomline, is it worth the extra modes to upgrade?

What did you used for video editing? Because I like the album type display ;-) Great review by the way, I'm in the market to buy the GoPro 2 but I was waiting to see how it work in low viz because that the type of dive I'm doing here in Canada.

I started playing around with GoPros about a year ago, took it to Socorro, Isla Mujeres, Isla Coronados and was initially frustrated until I learned of the underwater blur-fix solutions. Went with EyeOfMine, did a big, long review of the Hero just days before the Hero2 came out. Got one of those, did some fairly detailed comparisons with the original Hero, took it to Roatan for some underwater testing, and now just finished a big review of the Hero2 that shows what's changed, all the new modes, the new interface, some comparison video, the BacPac, the guts and specs of the Hero2, video lights, and some Hero2 video.

If you want to see the Hero2 review, it's here.

The video below is a six minute YouTube Hero2 sample from Roatan.

Doc Ed,

Is it worth upgrading from the Hero to the Hero2? Good question. I'd say it really isn't mandatory for anyone who is happy with their original Hero. While the Hero2's underlying technology has been much improved, for now there isn't a large enough difference between the two models to warrant instant replacement, unless someone absolutely must have some of the new features.

For now, I'd say the single biggest improvement in everyday usability is the new menu system (see my diagram of the Hero2 menu tree).

Safety Stop,

We used iMovie HD on an iMac27 for editing. As for low light/low viz recording, the Hero2 will do somewhat better, but adequate light remains the be-all and end-all in video.

Subscribing for later

Doc Ed,

Is it worth upgrading from the Hero to the Hero2? Good question. I'd say it really isn't mandatory for anyone who is happy with their original Hero. While the Hero2's underlying technology has been much improved, for now there isn't a large enough difference between the two models to warrant instant replacement, unless someone absolutely must have some of the new features.

For now, I'd say the single biggest improvement in everyday usability is the new menu system (see my diagram of the Hero2 menu tree).

Safety Stop,

We used iMovie HD on an iMac27 for editing. As for low light/low viz recording, the Hero2 will do somewhat better, but adequate light remains the be-all and end-all in video.

Thanks for giving me a moment of pause. If the biggest improvement is just the menu, then the use of the LCD bacpac somewhat negates this benefit. Will probably finish building my DIY set of video lights and see how those perform with the original (cree xml 900lm x 2). Though, given the cost of the Hero 2, I may just get one just the same :D

Incidentally, what light were you using and what settings did you have for the linked video?

I'm not sure I would call the biggest improvement the menus. There are several other, important (image capturing) improvements that I would stack rank above the menus (especially because, as you said, the LCD help with some of that). For example, you can shoot 1080p video in the 170 degree FOV setting on the Hero2, not the Hero1. The Hero2 has better low light performance, in general (you can see this clearly on this test video). I have a couple of Hero1s, but no Hero2s yet, so I'm relying on third party reviews (like this one), but there are some compelling things about it IMHO.

Billwil, there definitely are improvements. And if I were to buy my first GoPro now, I'd definitely get the Hero2, even though it costs more. However, if I already had a Hero, I'd have to realistically assess my needs before I decided to get the new one.

The additional angles are definitely useful. You don't always want to shoot in extreme wide angle, and so the new narrow (90 degree) mode in 1080p can be very useful. If you do big prints, an 11mp pic is definitely preferably to a 5mp pic, and even the Hero2's 5mp pics are noticeably cleaner. The four recording lights instead of just one mean you now longer have to turn the camera and look at it to make sure it's actually recording. And having a true HDMI port comes in handy. In everyday use, I found the new menus to be invaluable. Combined with the BacPac, the Hero2 feels much more like a regular camera with all the controls. That said, the BacPac is a bit of a mixed blessing as it drains the battery much quicker, which is not what you want underwater.

Lastly, I am almost certain the Hero2 will get even better as time goes on, via firmware upgrades. The new guts are much more advanced than those in the older Hero, and I don't think they have been fully exploited yet.

I just bought the GoPro Hero 2 today. I'm having a problem with it. I wont charge or even turn on. I tried taking the battery out and SD to reset the device. It still didn't work. Did anyone have a similar problem? If I can't get it to work, I guess I'll return it for a new.

That video was great. Can't wait to get a new working one.

conradb212,
thanks for the amazing review on your site for the Hero 2! I've been looking at these for a while now. They carry them at Target here and also Costco or Sams I think... My wife and I have been diving since '07 and are going to Belize (again ;-) this April then CocoView in September. My wife uses a Canon Power shot with a housing that takes pretty good pics and I used to use a reef master mini but it's just not reliable. So I'm looking at these GoPro Hero's. Figured it would actually be cool to shoot surface video and a bunch of underwater stuff then just extract any stills if I want. But it's a little confusing on what I actually need for a simple dive setup.

What would you suggest for the GoPro Hero 2 (Package, flat lens, etc.) Like can you buy just the camera without a package? I figure I just need the camera, I like the BacPac option also, flat lens, and then just a way to carry it or strap it to my BC. I mean can you just carry it underwater the way it comes? Like does it have a place to attach a ring for my lanyard to my d-ring?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom