GoPro Knockoff (Yi 4K) not such a good deal underwater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Snell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My Hero3 crapped out on me in Curacao last year (2016), and I spent many months sitting on the fence between getting the Hero4 Silver vs. the Hero5 Black. I found the Yi 4K and thought “bingo, best of both worlds at half the price”. Just got back from Grand Bahamas, and my thought now is “NOT SO MUCH”.

Here’s the conversation so far with Yi Technology (I inverted the conversation so it reads top to bottom)…

To: Yi Technical Support
Date: May 30, 14:24 PDT

Using the Yi 4K with a Lingle Underwater Housing and Lingle Red Filter... at various depths between 40 and 120 feet... and the White Balance set on Auto... all the video shot was extremely red. Without the red filter, all video shot was missing color (differing shades of blue) as expected. Does the White Balance have to be in one of the other modes for the video to come out good using a red filter? I never had this issue with my GoPro’s. Could the Lingle Red Filter be flawed? I bought the Yi underwater housing initially, but the latch broke the second time I opened it, that’s why I bought the Lingle housing.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Date: May 31, 00:28 PDT

Hi Water,
Thanks for contacting us. Can you please send us some video samples showing the problem so we can have a further check?
Regards,
YI Technical Support
____________________________________________________________________________________

Date: May 31, 05:30 PDT

Yes. Please see attached.

Date: Jun 1, 02:54 PDT

Hi water,
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we have reviewed the video and found out that the video affection filmed in the water is not good so we suggest filming the videos with the filters removed. And we also let you know that, for using effect in the water we still need to spend more efforts and time working on it.
Regards,
YI Technical Support
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Date: Jun 1, 07:19 PDT

Thank you for getting back to me. It is disappointing that your camera can not compete with the GoPro Hero 5 at this time. I am going on another SCUBA Diving trip in August. Will the underwater issues be corrected before then? Will the correction be software only, or will it require new hardware?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Date: Jun 2, 01:13 PDT

Hi water,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we have reviewed the video and found out that the video effection filmed in the water is not good so we suggest filming the videos with the filters removed. And we also let you know that, for using in the water we still needs efforts to optimize in the future.
Regards,
Yi Technical Support

Date: Jun 2, 07:55 PDT

I have comments and questions surrounding your response. “Yes, we have reviewed the video and found out that the video effection filmed in the water is not good so we suggest filming the videos with the filters removed.” At approximately 5 meters of depth, the loss of “red spectrum” light is noticeable, and the deeper you go the more blue everything gets. Your camera can not be corrected for that. So filming videos with filters removed is sub-standard and not worth doing. “And we also let you know that, for using in the water we still needs efforts to optimize in the future.” I asked if the underwater issues would be corrected before August… and I also asked if the correction will be software only, or will it require new hardware. You failed to answer either of those questions.

Date: Jun 5, 02:07 PDT

Thanks for your feedback. Actually, the issue is due to the hardware function limitation not software issue and we could give priorities to other features first so for this feature optimization we are not updated with the specific date yet.

Regards,
Yi Technical Support

Well then. Maybe go with a refurb GoPro Hero 4 Silver?

i dont get your post ? i own the Yi camera and its a superior action cam , the video is amazing , and it out performs the gopro in many ways ... go on youtube and watch the reviews ... who ever that person is in the emails waterdog ? sounds like he doesnt know what he is doing when it comes to underwater video .. filters esp red filter for tropical water is not worth the hassle and red filters can vary from manufacture to manufacture... just film the blue water as it is ..
Also your not buying a performance action camera , and white balance settings, Iso , so on and so on arnt going to be there for the high end Videographer who does color correction and post process video in the computer ... So the Yi is a great camera , but like all things it has limitations to what it can do ... if ya want the best , spend the money $$

don't buy red filters for shooting video underwater, the videos never look right. Buy video lights. Thankfully we are at a time where it doesn't take a home line of credit anymore

H2O... or is it H20 Doctor. If you don't get my post, why would you bother writing anything? Also, your ignorant opinions added nothing of value, much less posting a couple of professional videos that someone else shot. Go away.

cerich, I do have video lights... $900 dollars worth... unfortunately, they are only useful when your subject is within 12 feet (give or take). My Hero3 with red filter shot outstanding video by the way.

H2O... or is it H20 Doctor. If you don't get my post, why would you bother writing anything? Also, your ignorant opinions added nothing of value, much less posting a couple of professional videos that someone else shot. Go away.

cerich, I do have video lights... $900 dollars worth... unfortunately, they are only useful when your subject is within 12 feet (give or take). My Hero3 with red filter shot outstanding video by the way.

I guess I just haven't had much luck with the red filters..

I have a GoPro I use mask mounted with a Backscatter Flip red filter. I've found you just need a little bit of red filter to aid in post editing. Without the red filter and no lights, it's hard to get any color back in the video.

I also have a GoPro knockoff that takes fantastic video, but the first time I tried to use the red filter it compensated for the red and that's all I got. A red video.

I haven't experimented anymore with it so I'm interested in what others may say, but I'm thinking the solution is to turn off the automatic settings.

I have a GoPro Hero 4 silver and black and I have always the filter on... Sometimes I experienced issues with the colors and I noticed by mistake that if you remove the filter underwater and put it back you get better compensation.
I don't do this always but only when I want to make sure I shoot something properly and I can see the difference.
Try this I hope helps.

Go away ? Show me your crappy video .. Post it.. Do you even know how to use white balance , or color correction ? Prob not
I do know what I'm talking about because I own the Yi 4k camera and I've used it extensively.., if your asking here for answers and you dont want them .. Then dont post ..? If you cant accept an answer ..I've been shooting video for the past 13 years I don't have to prove anything to you I'm already an expert in underwater video ography in the scuba diving world...

The videos i posted looks excellent esp in 4k .. Proving the YI 4k is a action camera that puts the gopro 2 shame... Upset are we ?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom