GoPro leaking issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are worried, you could try taking the housing down without the GoPro in it on the first dive and then inspect the housing for leakage.

If you are worried about leaks, it's not a matter if it will leak, it's a matter of when.
Perhaps you could be interested in the concept Permanent Sealed of the Sealife Micro 2.0
This camera cannot leak, as has no housing, no opening.

Thank you for all your replies!

So a long story short: you guys blame user error the most for leaking gopro's and housings?

I've thought about the sealife camera's, but the gopro is also usable for other things.

Lust but not least (because last poster said that it's not if but when they will leak).

Can you tell me:
How many dives with your gopro and any problems yes/no?

Thank you!

Thank you for all your replies!

So a long story short: you guys blame user error the most for leaking gopro's and housings?

I've thought about the sealife camera's, but the gopro is also usable for other things.

Lust but not least (because last poster said that it's not if but when they will leak).

Can you tell me:
How many dives with your gopro and any problems yes/no?

Thank you!

Sealife is also a camera for land use.
I consider myself a conscious diver. However I flooded an Intova housing. I always took all the steps for a safe diving with the camera.
Besides, a permanent sealed design is one thing less to worry.

Keep it in the dark to preserve it's seal. Soak if for more than an hour in fresh water not just a quick rinse. I bought mine in 2013. I have taken it on 60+ dives to 60-100 feet. It has never leaked a single drop.

I suspect that most people leave their GoPro tightly closed during periods of un-use. Personally I leave my camera un-latched to the seal is not constantly compressed. I believe that it will eventually become permanently compressed and could then leak. I also periodically clean my seal and the mating surface with a minimal film of silicone grease. So far no leaks.

James, that sounds like a good idea but I have had mine closed since 2013. I figure oxidation is also an issue along with sunlight. I'm not sure but I figure a 4 year old waterproof camera that lived a good part of it's life on top of a helmet is living on borrowed time anyway. It is a hero 3.

About 100 dives - no problems. I leave the housing open when not being used. Also soak the gear in fresh water for a few hours then let dry before opening the housing.

Edit:. I did have one problem... Dropped the GoPro on to a tile floor and it landed on the lens, which damaged it to the extent that the insurance company replaced it.

Barth1234,
There are several things to consider. GoPro records excellent video, can take decent photos too; however, it does have some limitations and is not suitable for every user. Some want more detail and will go with SLR, some want to go inexpensive and go with more affordable competitors to GoPro, some want high end point and shoot quality and go with something more like SonyRX100.

Considering your questions and request for feedback, I'm think you have already decided to go with GoPro.

If you take good care of the unit, it will last many dives. Inspect the housing every time before use, check the gasket for shape, debris or anything that looks out of the ordinary.
If you see something that looks funny, use a new housing and discard the questionable one.

I've enjoyed GoPro for its simplicity, ease of travel and durability. We have the hero2 with dive housing, and have several hundred dives. It still works.
We have the Hero3 plus... my favorite one. Have changed the dive housing maybe 3 times or so. Has never flooded and still works.

In the last 3 years, we've been housing it in a Hugyfot Pro Plus unit, which adds 6hrs of battery life, nice large display and it's built like a tank. This type of setup is not for everyone. Some users will say that GoPro is not worthy of such quality housing; which I completely disagree. GoPro is a fine little camera and it's worthy to have great housings like the ones made by Hugyfot.

We also have the 4black, which we house in Hugyfot Pro plus.

The most recent addition is the GoPro Hero5Black. It's the best they've got thus far. We house it in the Hugyfot Vision Hero 5. Talk about awesomeness.
Hugyfot - Vision Hero 5

In any case, if there was some advice to share with you here it would be:
Give it a try.
Practice recording video and taking photos before diving.
Buy a GoPro plastic dive housing to start.
Check housing before every dive and keep it clean.
Store open in a zip top bag when not in use.
Buy extra batteries.
Get good memory cards C-10 or better.
Keep maintenance kit handy (lint free towels, eyeglass whippies) and don't let that get used for anything else than for your GoPro.
Invest in a tray. This will help stabilize your underwater footage.
Get a red filter, if you dive in blue water. I think you mentioned going to the Red Sea. Backscatter makes great filters.
Invest in a video light. If you can, get 2.
Get a hard case to store everything, transport it and protect things. Pelican makes great cases.
Last but not least.... practice, practice, practice.
Hope this helps.
Ricardo

I will add. Pay the big bucks for your filters. The cheap ones are not worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom