GoPro w/ Sealife SeaDragon 5000 videos / gear configs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdrining

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been shooting my GoPro Hero 3+ Silver for a few years now, first with no lights other than my dive light, no video back, then upgraded to add the video back and a tray and Intova video light... after shooting that for a couple of years I decided my biggest issue was trying to come up with the right filters and paying attention to when to use them and when not to use them, so that was going to be my goal for this year, but after careful consideration I decided to skip the filters and just light up what I'm shooting better. Eventually I wanted to upgrade to the Sealife DC2000 with the dual light setup then mount my gopro on top of the DC2000 but couldn't swing the entire upgrade all at once so I am now anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Sealife SeaDragon Duo 5000 video lights/tray and will follow up with upgraded camera later. I have been trying to find videos that others have shot with a similar lighting / camera setup. Show me what you've done with your similar setups!

I'm also trying to come up with different gear configurations even though I don't have my hands on the lights yet. It looks like the bottom of the tray has a standard 1/4-20 tripod mount, so I'm debating about what I can do with that. I don't know if the Duo 5000 lights will give full coverage of the GoPro's field of view or not, so I am debating if I should try to come up with a mount to put my Intova light on the bottom of the tray so I have 3 video lights? Or I could put the lens back on the Intova to make it my dive light and have it all be attached to the camera tray? Eventually I want to add the SeaDragon Fluorescent light to the rig for bio-luminescent dive light but most of my diving is done in fresh water lakes so it will be a later upgrade before my next reef diving trip. The other thought I had was maybe adding a selfie stick to the bottom of the tray but I haven't found many that give you much extension that aren't something like 18" long at their retracted length so I think that might just get in the way most of the time. I'm interested in seeing what other people have done with their camera configs with these SeaDragon rigs?

Get additional flexi arms for your lights to use with the tray. It will give you more adjustability. The lights will cover the scope of the GoPro’s shot. Not sure how you will make the bottom of the tray work with a standard tripod mount but I mounted my GoPro onto that. There isn’t much else to do with that mount once that’s there because the underside is the tightening knob/adjustment for it.

One of the videos I had watched made it sound like the dual tray has an additional 1/4-20 mount on the bottom, not the adjustment screw for attaching the camera / GoPro mount... I can't find that video now, but I think it shows it in the picture on the website that there are actually two additional 1/4-20 threaded holes down there for attaching other equipment to. Dual Tray | Sealife Cameras

The old...
IMG_20180330_154007752-800x600.jpg

And the new...
IMG_20180330_154744912-800x600.jpg

You can just barely see the color difference on the bottom of the tray, it has two threaded mounts for tripod mounts so I am trying to find something to attach on there to mount the light I currently have just tied on. If I could use part of the old rig to attach to the new tray would work great but I'm not envisioning it.

Back
Top Bottom