GoPro5 Super suit vs. aftermarked dive housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm upgrading from my Hero2 to a Hero5 and have a question about dive housings. The Hero5 is waterproof to 1 ATA with the base camera. That sounds great as a backup waterproofing in case of dive housing leak - however the official dive housing (supersuit) requires the removal of the front lens casing. This makes the camera no longer waterproof by itself. I have found several aftermarket diving housings for the Hero5 that does not require the removal of the front lens casing. Anyone out there have any experience with them?

I just upgraded myself and bought the Super Suit with the camera before finding out about this necessity to remove the lens cover. I can't answer your question about whether the other cases are better or not, but I did come across a review where the reviewer said he had bought the aftermarket housing first but eventual bought the Super Suit because most of the filters he wanted to use were only compatible with it. Perhaps see if you can find filters compatible with the aftermarket housings before making your decision?

One difference I found is that the Super Suit is rated to 60m, whereas most of the aftermarket ones are 45m or less.

I just bought the goscope housing which does not require you to remove the lense. It comes with 3 filters and is good for 60m apparently. I'll let you know how I ge ton.

The reason that quality housings make you remove the lens protector is that it is glass, and you don't want a lens protector behind another lens protector. The less between the actual lens and the outside world, the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom