Got a fish I can't seem to id

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indiana*joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This little guy (along with 3 of his buddies) was shot off of Pensacola Beach. Yea, ok, ok, I was desparate! Anyway, one of the behaviors that made it rather interesting was that when it was startled, it dove into the sand and came back out a couple of feet away! I really wished I had taken the time for some better pics, but I was in a hurry to get out to the little artificial reef and see some more critters. Ha! the joke is on me as this was the only fish I saw the whole dive! I scoured Deloach's book and couldn't really find anything close. The spiked dorsal and stiff pectorals are much different than anything there. I had assumed a killifish earlier until it dove into the sand.

http://allenhost.com/gallery/IndianaJoe20031129

Anyway - any ideas?

How big are they?

Your photos aren't helpful, but the behavior sounds like a Razorfish.

It's not a razorfish... that's not a labrid body plan. And the dorsal fin's too far back for a blenny, goby, or jawfish. I've never seen anything like this, granted the photos are well, awful.

The top-down photo looks a lot like a toadfish, but not the lateral view.

I give up.

archman:
...granted the photos are well, awful.

Gotta agree with you. You'de think that if this is the only thing I saw, I could have at least gotten one good pic. They aren't that good, but the fin structure and color (or lack) should at least give someone a hint of where to place these fellows.

Well, the general morphology puts him in the drum family... possibly a croaker or ground mullet. The coloring's not what I'd expect, but then color among these guys is highly variable and changeable at will.
I reckon you're just gonna have to go back and get some better photos.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom