Got a scooter for Xmas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's the thought that counts! However, any suggestions on how to gently tell my girlfriend that the "expensive" scooter she got me for Christmas... is actually a useless piece of s%^t??? :rofl3:

Although, that's a bit harsh. I'm sure it would be good for others but not really for me. I'm sure it's not a DIR approved DPV and I would not be able to take a GUE DPV class with it. GUE is the DPV class I want to do.

It's a YAMAHA RDS250 SEASCOOTER

"Depth rated to 100'" Well that's not going to work! Would be good for beach dives but I don't really do those anymore...Most dives I'm doing these days are @ or below 100'...

She's not a diver and doesn't really know what kind of diving I'm doing. And I'm sure has no idea what "DIR" even means. I'm sure she doesn't know the DPV that I actually want is a Suex XJ37, for almost $7k. :D

Has anyone ever got you a scuba gift that is inappropriate? What did you say? What did you do? It would seem like such a waste to just let it sit in the box...

Be up front and honestly explain to her just like you did here.
Then use the money to take her out for a nice weekend getaway.

It is the thought that counts. However, we expect to hear every detail of how your talk went. Every detail... no holding back. :D :D :D

...She's not a diver and doesn't really know what kind of diving I'm doing.....
You know,,,members here are not really judgemental about non-divers,,LOL
But a picture of her would help... {ducking my head down now}

You have someone actually paying attention to what you do. Be courteous, be thoughtful, and be honest. If the gift was about you, she'll want it to be what you want. Even as I type this, I know that these waters can be fraught with unexpected eddies and mine fields.

Let her know how awesome you feel that she listens to you and picks up on gift idea nuggets. If you do actually love the thought that she put into it, she'll see it. Might still be some rough waters but they might be minimized if she knows how much you value her interest in your hobbies.

But yes, if you have to spend $250 on a date night to smooth over the return of your scooter, you are now morally obligated to come back and share all the gory details!!!

If she's at all interested, returning the scooter would provide plenty of funds to kit her out and maybe even get her OW certified?

If it was my girlfriend i would adapt my dives to that scooter and stick to under 100, i dont want it thrown at my head:D

You can just propose to refund and upgrade it yourself explaining that you would prefer this model.

You don’t need to focus on explaining why it is inadequate, that would be less awkward

Ie don’t say it is no good.

Say I was thinking about buying actually this model and it’s great you bought a scooter as I was planning to buy one ... do you mind if I refund it to get the model I wanted or something in these lines ?

I would be careful about refunding to buy her something because you are basically buying her a diner with her own money :) some people will get offended ...

Even though your girlfriend doesn't dive, hopefully she doesn't follow Scubaboard either. If she does there isn't much you will be able to say, ie "is actually a useless piece of s%^t???". Restraint of tongue and pen can go a long ways. Be kind, grateful and honest but not brutal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom