Got certified.Some SMALL questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samsumon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys just some questions.

-How many dives do you think I should do before I take the plunge and go for the advance course (I would like to do the AC so I can go night diving,wreck diving,cave diving ect...)

-How do I calculate my decompression zones and times? Not to sure on it. I just did a 75 ft dive for 30 minutes and took a 3 minute 15 ft Decomp stop.

Thanks=-)

also,when is a good time I should buy gear,meaning,season and stuff.

-How many dives do you think I should do before I take the plunge and go for the advance course (I would like to do the AC so I can go night diving,wreck diving,cave diving ect...)

Many divers go right to AOW from OW, it's often thought of as an "extension of your OW training". I don't suggest that you do this because you don't seem to have a clue regarding the difference between decompression "zones" (whatever that is) and safety stops.

-How do I calculate my decompression zones and times? Not to sure on it. I just did a 75 ft dive for 30 minutes and took a 3 minute 15 ft Decomp stop.

Go back and read the OW manual from start to finish.

There is NO decompression in basic OW Scuba diving assuming you properly plan your dive and dive your plan and don't run into an emergency that keeps you at depth longer than you intended.

A 3 minute safety stop at 15 feet is recommended following every dive, although it naturally follows that if the dive is fairly shallow, say 25-40 feet, that does not apply.

Re-reading your OW manual does sound like a good idea

The more the merrier really; but 20-30 would be a good number IMO, in addition to your course dives - or as many as it takes to get your buoyancy and other skills you learned during OW to a satisfactory level

Advanced certification doesn't cover cave diving

Last edited by a moderator:
On the PADI air RDP you hit a decompression limit with that dive. Thus a safety stop was required on that dive not optional.

I've seen divers that went straight from OW to AOW and DO NOT recommend it. They still are usually bouncing off the bottom and rolling around. I agree with around 25 dives before taking AOW.

Speaking as an instructor AOW should be taken when you have all your basic skills down pat. You should know the difference between safety and decompression stops. If you don't you got screwed royal in your OW training. My AOW students must be able to perform mask remove and replace, reg recovery, and weight system remove and replace in midwater, horizontal, while hovering and swimming. Before they are permitted to start the class. The AOW WILL NOT allow you to go cave diving, wreck diving, or night diving. What it will do in most cases unfortunately is only give you a taste of "advanced" dives. Some courses will actually give you new skills and knowledge provided you show the proper attitude. For example that you want an AOW card so you can dive wrecks and caves tells me that your OW training was not good enough to allow you to begin the AOW class I teach. You need to develop better judgement and a clearer sense of what that card will allow you to do.

The AOW WILL NOT allow you to go... wreck diving, or night diving

I assume he's referring to the Specialities...

What else is required to go night diving?

Personally, I have found it the most useful soon after the OW course. Once you get some experience, you dont gain as much from the in-water component of the AOW course compared to the acceleration in your learning soon after OW.

People get too caught up in the "Advanced" part of the name.

The main thing is to keep diving. Whether you do AOW or just some dives, you will benefit from increased development and longer-term retention of skills if you get a few days of diving soon after your OW course. Diving is learned in the water - and AOW is another way to get some more dives in - the instructor supervision will help you refine your skills and also nip any bad habits in the bud.

V.

I've seen students who barely finished their check out dives and are signing up for AOW. I also disagree with this.

I would say 25-50 dives.......get out and dive, get comfortable in the water, Once I hit the 50 dive mark my breathing, bouyancy...etc became second nature.

Once you are "one" with the water you can move on to advanced and expand your diving. Take a course in night diving, deep diving , wreck diving, etc.
You will enjoy your dives a lot more and be more relaxed in the water.

Samsumon
What's the rush? You said you're new to diving so get out!! Find out if you really like it. Some of the certs you mentioned require time, money and dedication. Are you going to be someone who dives anywhere, anytime, or are you going to be a vacation diver?
All I can say really, is get comfortable with your equipment and diving. Work on buoyancy and different tasks, like using a SMB. Once you feel comfortable and confident go for it.

My 2psi

What else is required to go night diving?
A couple of lights and a short discussion on how to use them? :wink:

The main thing is to keep diving. Whether you do AOW or just some dives, you will benefit from increased development and longer-term retention of skills if you get a few days of diving soon after your OW course. Diving is learned in the water - and AOW is another way to get some more dives in - the instructor supervision will help you refine your skills and also nip any bad habits in the bud.

Good advice.

How do I calculate my decompression zones and times? Not to sure on it. I just did a 75 ft dive for 30 minutes and took a 3 minute 15 ft Decomp stop.
Using whatever method you were taught in OW - tables, eRDP, computer, divination, etc.

also,when is a good time I should buy gear,meaning,season and stuff.
Once you realize you have a passion for this sport and can dedicate the time and effort to do it regularly...

-B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom