Got certified.Some SMALL questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, perhaps I did come on a little harshly, and for that I apologize, but let's see if we can come to an understanding about your question, which seems to have a lot of people confused.

You weren't harsh.

The guy has an OW Scuba Diving certification and doesn't even know that he isn't supposed to do decompression diving.

That's all about him, his reading comprehension and possibly language skills, and possibly related to IQ and/or incompetence and laziness on the part of his instructor.

Well, perhaps I did come on a little harshly, and for that I apologize, but let's see if we can come to an understanding about your question, which seems to have a lot of people confused.

It appears as if you had a normal OW class and were taught the normal procedures for planning a no decompression dive. You have not said what agency it was, and some of us are assuming it was PADI. You said your instructor screwed you and did not care because he did not teach you something, but it is not clear what he did not teach you.You said you do know how to use the tables that allow you to plan multiple dives, and I think most of us assume you are talking about the PADI RDP or the equivalent. If you know that, then your instructor did teach you that, which is a normal part of an OW course.

You said you want to know about decompression procedures, both for safety (in case of an actual violation of the limits) and so you can do deeper, longer dives than the tables permit.

As far as safety is concerned, it was pointed out that, if it was a PADI course at least, you should have been taught emergency decompression procedures, for they are in both the knowledge reviews and on the final exam. I don't know about other courses.

If it is for deeper, longer diving, you said that the problem with learning these things through a course is that those courses cost about $1,000. The implication is that you want someone on this thread to give you the information so that you don't have to spend the money.

There is a reason that this advanced training is expensive. It requires a lot more than just knowing an ascent profile. One of the most important things is that a diver who is doing this kind of diving intentionally should have a much greater level of skill than is typically found in a beginning diver, and the courses typically require a lot of such training in addition to the procedures.

You said you do not know a lot of the terminology. Let me help you out with some things that will be helpful to you in the future.
  • Most of terms you are unfamiliar with are taught in an OW class. That is why some people are suggesting you go back and review your course materials.
  • The short, slang abbreviation for decompression used in diving is deco. Decomp is a short, slang abbreviation used in forensics for decomposition, the odor of rotting flesh.
  • Your post, quoted above, is a violation of the ScubaBoard Terms of Service. If it were to be reported (and I won't report it), it would be pulled and you would be given a warning. Further such posts could get you suspended or banned.
Hope this helps.

You werent harsh just choice of wording was not imo ideal. The reason I thought my instructor skip out on things with me,was because some members here were saying that. But it all came down to my misjudgment that led to their mis-belief. Simple issue,corrected and now I got it.

But if it adds,Im researching as much as possible when ever I get on a computer.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please remember, this forum has a strict TOS. Name calling and trolling will not be tolerated. We want to be helpful here, not rude to either the OP or any other member on this board.

Thanks y'all!
Carolyn:shark2:
SB Moderator

I'd agree with dbulmer. It seems to me that maybe the terminology used is incorrect. They are saying one thing when trying to say another. During one post he mentioned doing a second dive. That post led me to believe that he is actually talking about surface intervals rather than deco times. As only a OW cert. diver here I know the very basics of deco times. Basically I know that I shouldn't plan a dive where that could ever be necessary. I also understand that there is a difference between a normal safety stop and decompression stops that more advanced (certified) divers do.

@samsumon are you saying that your confusion comes from using the dive tables? From what I gathered from you post you did a dive @ 75' for 35 minutes. Then you are wondering how long you can say down for your second dive based on how long you stayed above the surface?

I remember that there was more than one person that struggled with this in class and we spent a lot of time on it. I was lucky and took my class in college which means we had about 2x as many classroom hours as some other classes.

I could be way off here, I read through the post fast because I'm at work but to me it sounds more like a confusion in terminology than anything else.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please remember, this forum has a strict TOS. Name calling and trolling will not be tolerated. We want to be helpful here, not rude to either the OP or any other member on this board.

Thanks y'all!
Carolyn:shark2:
SB Moderator
:D
I'd agree with dbulmer. It seems to me that maybe the terminology used is incorrect. They are saying one thing when trying to say another. During one post he mentioned doing a second dive. That post led me to believe that he is actually talking about surface intervals rather than deco times. As only a OW cert. diver here I know the very basics of deco times. Basically I know that I shouldn't plan a dive where that could ever be necessary. I also understand that there is a difference between a normal safety stop and decompression stops that more advanced (certified) divers do.

@samsumon are you saying that your confusion comes from using the dive tables? From what I gathered from you post you did a dive @ 75' for 35 minutes. Then you are wondering how long you can say down for your second dive based on how long you stayed above the surface?

I remember that there was more than one person that struggled with this in class and we spent a lot of time on it. I was lucky and took my class in college which means we had about 2x as many classroom hours as some other classes.

I could be way off here, I read through the post fast because I'm at work but to me it sounds more like a confusion in terminology than anything else.

Lol yes you are way off..Basically it came down to this

-I mis-understood my safety stop as a deco stop...I wanted to know why I did a "deco" stop. I read the back of my RDP and saw that if I come within a "zone" I have to take a safety stop.

-I DO though,would like to learn how to set up a "deco" stop but from my gathering those dives are the AOW dives..But from now I know how to use my RDP and I know how far down and how long I can stay at that depth to stay healthy.

Thanks alot guys,sorry for the mis-communication we all got a bit carried away towards the end though =-0

-I DO though,would like to learn how to set up a "deco" stop but from my gathering those dives are the AOW dives..-0

They are not even AOW dives. If you are going to do deco dives, with almost all agencies you have to go into what many people call technical diving. Many shops do not even offer those courses.

-I mis-understood my safety stop as a deco stop...I wanted to know why I did a "deco" stop. I read the back of my RDP and saw that if I come within a "zone" I have to take a safety stop.

-I DO though,would like to learn how to set up a "deco" stop but from my gathering those dives are the AOW dives..But from now I know how to use my RDP and I know how far down and how long I can stay at that depth to stay healthy.

samsumon, are you sure things are clear to you now? I ask because the quote above sounds like a rephrasing of this older post of yours, parsed below. I'm responding to both, with some summarizing of what everybody else has been telling you.

Thanks peeps...Im going again for another 75ft dive tomorrow.Im going to start making logs of my dives in a composition notebook for now. I just REALLY wanna learn how to figure out if I will need a decomp dive..EVEN if Im a beginner .I feel that this is a skill to have no matter what. Understanding the dangers of my dive and how to prepare for them is important to me even if this is considered "advance".
Learning how to plan a decompression dive is more than "advanced," it's considered technical diving, and there are entire courses dedicated ONLY to planning and executing decompression dives. The IANTD Deep Air cert that I hold, for example, took four full days of lectures and dives to earn.

I know how to use the table to plan a dive,see what group I end up with then do the whole "break on surface" and set the second dive based of the nitrogen left in my body.
Since you learned how to use the tables and are confident in your knowledge, you should also recall that you were instructed (and tested) on what to do if you accidentally violate the NDL limits. If you don't remember, reread the special rules on the second side of the RDP where it explains how long a stop is required when you have exceeded the NDL by different time periods.

So for now,just get out and do a few more dives (tomorrow is the typical 75 ft then a 35 reef dive) and after maybe the 4th boat trip start looking into more courses.
Practicing diving and getting more instruction are both excellent ways to make quick progress. Have a great time on your dives and enjoy your AOW course.

Last edited:
They are not even AOW dives. If you are going to do deco dives, with almost all agencies you have to go into what many people call technical diving. Many shops do not even offer those courses.
Sweet,Well i think like always im jumping to far into the water (no pun intended) and should just sit back and scuba..See how often I will be able to do it and first get gear of my own..I think I have enough places to dive and wrecks to see for now.
samsumon, are you sure things are clear to you now? I ask because the quote above sounds like a rephrasing of this older post of yours, parsed below. I'm responding to both, with some summarizing of what everybody else has been telling you.

Learning how to plan a decompression dive is more than "advanced," it's considered technical diving, and there are entire courses dedicated ONLY to planning and executing decompression dives. The IANTD Deep Air cert that I hold, for example, took four full days of lectures and dives to earn.

Since you learned how to use the tables and are confident in your knowledge, you should also recall that you were instructed (and tested) on what to do if you accidentally violate the NDL limits. If you don't remember, reread the special rules on the second side of the RDP where it explains how long a stop is required when you have exceeded the NDL by different time periods.

Practicing diving and getting more instruction are both excellent ways to make quick progress. Have a great time on your dives and enjoy your AOW course.
Thanks,I went over everything and saw again the table and read it all..I understand now,that I will need a safety stop if I will be in a certain zone..And yes I saw the rules for what to do if I stay under water pass a certain time..:D

l..I understand now,that I will need a safety stop if I will be in a certain zone.

You don't understand at all.

A safety stop is not "needed" it's "recommended".

You don't understand at all.

A safety stop is not "needed" it's "recommended".

Actually, I think he may understand perfectly.
A safety stop is indeed required/needed as opposed to just recommended in certain situations. Quoting from the PADI RDP:
A safety stop for 3 mins at 15 ft is required any time the diver comes within 3 pressure groups of a no-decompression limit, and for any dive to a depth of 100 ft or greater.
Other than at these times, you are correct, it is highly recommended, though not required. I believe that it may be precisely these pressure groups for which the safety stop is required that the OP is referring to when he uses the term "zones". These are the ones shaded grey (or black) on the RDP slates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom