got crabs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafisch

Reaction score
OK, so lobstering is like hanging out at a high school. Fun to look, nothing's legal. However, you can't swing a dead cat underwater without hitting a decent sized crab. Have people considered moving down (well, laterally) the food chain a little bit? Opinions? Experiences? Recipes?

scubafisch:
OK, so lobstering is like hanging out at a high school. Fun to look, nothing's legal. However, you can't swing a dead cat underwater without hitting a decent sized crab. Have people considered moving down (well, laterally) the food chain a little bit? Opinions? Experiences? Recipes?
Don't know about where you are, but you can't crab using scuba here. Did catch one by hand on a dive once.....Don't recommend it.

rmead:
Don't know about where you are, but you can't crab using scuba here. Did catch one by hand on a dive once.....Don't recommend it.

Am I being dense? I live in massachusetts... thought the regulations said I could take crab... better go back and check the books. Thanks.

Yes you can take crabs, yes they are plentiful. Most likely the types you are seeing are too much work for what meat they yeild. Thank you for the tip on high schools, that was a close one.

ScubaNorth:
Yes you can take crabs, yes they are plentiful. Most likely the types you are seeing are too much work for what meat they yeild. Thank you for the tip on high schools, that was a close one.

I agree... I've gotten some big crabs for friends who really like them and the meat was pretty darn good, but it was a bi*** to extract it. They made crab cakes and they were awesome, but we had to use a hammer to open the super hard shells!!!

Now sea urchins... that's a different story!!! :wink: See 'uni' at your local sushi establishment!!!

Not sure where 'rmead' is, but yes, it is fine to take crabs in MA.

Haven't taken crabs off MA but used to crab in NJ. Even the biggest ones were a ton of work for what you got out of them.

Damselfish:
Haven't taken crabs off MA but used to crab in NJ. Even the biggest ones were a ton of work for what you got out of them.

I used to go crabbing all the time in Jersey, where you can catch blue crabs. Blue crabs are really good, but I agree that they're a lot of work. I caught some crabs in Boston once -- maybe they were rock crabs? They were brownish and on the sides of rocks. Ton of work, little meat, and I don't think they're as good as blue crabs. Maybe there aren't enough chemicals in the water around here?

ClassAction:
I used to go crabbing all the time in Jersey, where you can catch blue crabs. Blue crabs are really good, but I agree that they're a lot of work. I caught some crabs in Boston once -- maybe they were rock crabs? They were brownish and on the sides of rocks. Ton of work, little meat, and I don't think they're as good as blue crabs. Maybe there aren't enough chemicals in the water around here?

WOW, wow!!! Lay off of our chemicals! :wink: The claws from YOUR rock crabs are much better than our Blues - but - Cook without any Old Bay! Plus - if u can't clean the crab in under 20 seconds - don't bother eating them - the best part of the crab will get warm and disgusting... And the best part of the crab? U right - it's beer!

Back
Top Bottom