Got my OW certificate!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
so first post on here, I got my email from PADI confirming I'm now an OW diver.
Been looking on the website for the next courses to do and just wanted to see what path others took?
My game plan is to do the Divemaster course eventually and maybe go on to teach as well.
Any tips greatly appreciated.

So far I've done all my diving in Egypt with Calona Divers, but based in Swindon so might have to find a local dive club or something to get out

Congratulations!! Marie13 is right, a lot initially is just go diving, being mindful to be safe. I understand England has a very big club diving scene, I would hook up with that if you can. They might encourage you to join their training system, which is likely also a good path. Often it is people as much as systems, so poke around for a group that works for you. You can also practice skindiving drills (mask clears, ditch and don, different types of kicks) in the pool with out scuba which is a great idea, and a good way to stay in shape. If you can play around for an hour in the pool in skin gear doing drills, playing with different kicks, your likely a safer and happier diver. I do that here. Just do not get the lifeguards nervous.

I did most of the core non leader training all together at the start, which is not always the best path. Intermixing training with experience is likely best.

Nitrox is an easy land class that helps explain theory better and helps to keep you a bit safer; buoyancy control is always key. If you are stuck on land, first aid, CPR, and O2 complement the water side in case anyone has issues. The usual suspects for what next are: dive so you settle in and have more context and enjoyment, buoyancy and trim (always key, alway key, always key), night (a new environment), navigation (orientation underwater is alway a good thing..), deep (more theory understanding, planing your air for each dive phase, solving issues underwater, and if you want some deep boat dives).

Edit: A recent tread on what to do in AOW might be helpful, though it does not answer your question of what each of us did. Which PADI AOW specialties.
In answer to your question, lots of peoples stories are here: How Did You Find Your First Scuba Class?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply Michael, there is certainly a lot of things to look at :) I'll check out the threads you've linked as well

Now that you have OW, get out and dive as much as possible. If you can find a good buddy (they don't have to be that experienced but just have the right mindset ie be a safe diver, don't take unnecessary risks, do training drills occasionally etc).

It might be worth looking at BSAC (club diving) if you can find an active club in your area. They do do things a bit differently to PADI but there is a well structured crossover..

There are often PADI 'clubs' attached to dive shops. Its worth having a look at who is in your area.

BSAC is a different structure to PADI. With BSAC you pay to join a branch, and generally the training is free, other than the cost of the training packs. The instructors are volunteers, all trained and assessed nationally.

Welcome to the home of UK Scuba Diving - to dive and train with friends - join us!

There is a branch finder feature on the website

SCUBA diving find it tool, trip reports to wrecks, to big critters

Put your post code in and it should list the local branches.

A quick look and there are branches in
Swindon
Cirencester
Wantage
Newbury
Stroud
Bradford and Avon
Oxford

One big tip - don't join the first branch you go to. Interview them, check they have instructors, and run the type of diving that interests you, and are welcoming.
If you want to do some training make sure they have ACTIVE instructors.
A branch doing 70-80m diving isn't going to suit you.
Some branches have boats and compressors. My branch doesn't, we charter boats up and down the country which suits us better.

Gareth

Thanks for the info Gareth, I had a brief look at BSAC while I was in Egypt and didn't look hard enough because I had no idea there was like a membership fee.
Will definitely be looking to find somewhere that dives regularly and see about joining in

Congrats! Now go get wet.

Hi @Rich.diver

Increase your diving experience. I would do nitrox soon, you can do it online and then a short visit to LDS to analyze tanks. You may want to do AOW sooner than later, especially if it is required for any of the dives you'd like to do at home or on vacation. Dive, dive, dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom