Got My Tags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saturday evening I ordered 4 of the 2 inch diameter 1/16" thick circular plastic bag tags; I think it was Tuesday I had them in hand (got sick and had a call shift). Very fast standard delivery on that order. A sample of the upcoming 1/8" thick version was included. I notice a slight difference in the blue color between these tags of the 2 different thicknesses. Rubbing my finger across the surface, it's not perfectly smooth, but not abrasive either. Small white zip ties were included to secure them to my gear.

My hands are big and fingers long, so I included a quarter for size reference:

1_zpsacstpcnn.jpg

2_zps0htam5uy.jpg

Minor quibble; wish the backs were painted the same color as the front.

3_zpswv8qqoah.jpg

Aquenex said the 1/16" thick plastic tags are slightly flexible, not completely rigid. I agree; I'm exerting pretty strong thumb force on this one:

4_zpsssxsijhu.jpg

The 1/8" I could barely flex slightly. It looks thicker by comparison than I'd have expected.

These tags look good, feel tough, are obviously very light and should float, and I'm pleased with the purchase.

Richard.

Saturday evening I ordered 4 of the 2 inch diameter 1/16" thick circular plastic bag tags; I think it was Tuesday I had them in hand (got sick and had a call shift). Very fast standard delivery on that order. A sample of the upcoming 1/8" thick version was included. I notice a slight difference in the blue color between these tags of the 2 different thicknesses. Rubbing my finger across the surface, it's not perfectly smooth, but not abrasive either. Small white zip ties were included to secure them to my gear.

My hands are big and fingers long, so I included a quarter for size reference:

View attachment 397256

View attachment 397257

Minor quibble; wish the backs were painted the same color as the front.

View attachment 397258

Aquenex said the 1/16" thick plastic tags are slightly flexible, not completely rigid. I agree; I'm exerting pretty strong thumb force on this one:

View attachment 397259

The 1/8" I could barely flex slightly. It looks thicker by comparison than I'd have expected.

These tags look good, feel tough, are obviously very light and should float, and I'm pleased with the purchase.

Richard.

Richard,
Happy to hear you like the tags. The thicker tag is indeed a different color. The manufacturer of the plastic doesn't not offer the same color in the thicker plastic. They also don't make the textured plastic in a 3-ply, which would give you the color on the back. The textured plastic just holds up better to scratching and the rough/tumble environment of scuba diving. Thank you for the very thoughtful post, love the feedback.

-Steve

Are these for your luggage/bags or your gear? Maybe I should just call you now that we all have your phone number :wink:

Good question. My quandary about luggage tags is that I don't want the whole world to see my name, address, phone number, and email. Yet I want the airline or whomever finds my lost bag to be able to find that information easily, even if the person is a complete moron.

As for identifying gear, I can't think of a scenario where that would be very useful. On a liveaboard or at a resort, it's usually pretty clear whose BC or whatever is whose.

I like the idea of ID tags. I'm just not sure what to do with them.

Good question. My quandary about luggage tags is that I don't want the whole world to see my name, address, phone number, and email. Yet I want the airline or whomever finds my lost bag to be able to find that information easily, even if the person is a complete moron.

I bought shacke bag tags from amazon.

As for identifying gear, I can't think of a scenario where that would be very useful. On a liveaboard or at a resort, it's usually pretty clear whose BC or whatever is whose.
I've seen a mixup between divers with simmilar fins on a diveboat and been involved one involving booties.

I just write my name directly on most of my gear now though. @mermaid0sea got me a groovy embroidered nametag for my bcd strap.

After the unpleasantness of a thing called Korean police action I wore my GI dog tags for about 20 years , .Habit I suppose ....

Some years ago - perhaps 10 , it was discovered that a local government surplus store had a dog tag producing machine and would make dog tags for a very reasonable price. (especially veterans ) I immediately zoomed over purchased a set for my little dog and why not ? a set for me...

This time it was name, address, next of kin (wife) and son who is head of the local ER.

I think I still prefer good ole fashioned dog tags--- habit I suppose

~~~ But ~~~

To look official like Richard -and every one wants to look official - you will need a set of Ken's official tags

I would suspect in very short order Tags of all sorts--sizes, colors and shapes will adorn dive bags and who know what else?

I wish you luck in you venture...

SDM

I like the idea of ID tags. I'm just not sure what to do with them.

I have been ordering luggage tags from this company for a few years. They make an Extreme Luggage Tag which is made from 2 inch polypropylene webbing and has a stainless steel loop. They contain a pocket to hold an address/contact card. The tags can be embroidered with up to 9 letters. My tags are Yellow and Orange and have my first name and that is all you see unless you open the tag and look at the address card. The Yellow has gotten a bit dirty, but it is still very easy to identify my luggage easily at luggage claim.

orange_3eed9e98-0d9f-4665-818b-606a3006cd05_grande.jpg

orange_ad5d3e5c-55d7-455f-af78-3295c28aeefa_grande.jpg

The tag with the pocket addresses the issue I raised, though you still have to hope that someone who finds your bag is smart enough to know to look in the pocket.

Maybe I should just call you now that we all have your phone number :wink:

I thought about that, and considered using a graphic tool to smear some of that into illegibility, but even if everyone knows that's what happened, it'd create a bad visual impression of the product, and I finally decided against that in favor of showing people what it looks like. There are a lot of people I wouldn't want to have my phone #, but they wouldn't know to look for it on a scuba forum (especially in a graphic format). A few people know me personally and several know my location, so if someone wanted to find me badly, they could. No reason most would want to!

People get enough of me on the forum. I can't imagine people want to chat with me on the phone, too!

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom