Got new camcorder thinking of using it for scuba looking for opinons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a22shady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So i wanted a nice camcorder for filming family things "Trips, plays, daughters sports etc.." We wound up getting a Canon M40 which is a Full1080P HD camcorder I have taken lots of videos with it and I am very impressed with the picture and detail quality of the video and it also has the ability to pull still photo's from the video which are quite nice but for pictures i use my Digital Sony camera. I recorded several games of my daughter and youtubed them and got lots of comments about the video quality. It's not a 3000 super camcorder but reviews from everywhere and Cnet ranked it quite well.

So anyway I have seen that Canon makes a nice fully functioning housing for this camcorder (Canon WP-V3 Waterproof Case) I currently use my Sealife DC1200 camera for pics and video's which does the job and saving memories of dives and cool things we seen but it's not HD thinking since we have this really nice camcorder why not make the most of it. So my question is since this is not a camcorder made specifically for scuba like having all the different diving modes and functions would it be worth spending the 450.00 for case or would I be better off using my sealife since it was really made for it.

Just don't want to spend the money only to dive and have no color in my video's I realize that light has a lot to do with it and currently do not use any lights with my sealife other than flash one time I took under 60' I just brought my 21watt Hid and has it set to slighly wider beam on what i was shooting and worked well. Just curious as diving in Northeast is not greatest for Viz so just wondering how it would work out.

The Camcorder: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_m40

The case: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/wp_v3_waterproof_case

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
So my question is since this is not a camcorder made to go underwater
Actually it kind of is:
Programmed AE Smart Auto, P, Av, Tv, Portrait, Sports, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night Scene, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks, Underwater, Surface
The big advantage to using the MF40 will be that you can shoot in HD. Your Sealife is only shooting 640x480 SD video. Your MF40 shoots 1080P. There's a noticeable difference as you've observed.

You can use your HID light for video as long as it's somewhat diffused, ie no hotspots in the beam. A piece of semi-opaque white plastic will help with that if needed. The wider you can set the beam the better also.

I can't speak to filming in the NE since all mine is done in bright tropical water. If necessary, the WP-V3 will also take a standard (52mm?) external red color correction filter - either the green or blue water would be a good choice - depends on the water color there. Your camera's u/w mode will also help with that - it does some color correction also. My buddy shoots an MF200/WP-V1 - he gets better results using a video light with the u/w mode turned off.

If there's a limitation to the housing - besides the 130' depth rating - it's that the touchscreen is not accessible in the housing except for viewing. But it does allow you to do all the basic video functions - I think you can even shoot stills simultaneously. Of course they won't be at the resolution of your Sealife since the Canon only shoots 2MP stills. It also travels real nice, it's a pretty compact system.

Last edited:
DiverSteve,

Thanks never realized it had an underwater mode on it. I played around with it and browsed throught the manual and looked various settings when I first got it but I always leave it in auto mode and that was the canon guy had told me to do and said you more likely to get best quality doing it like that for what I would be doing with it. I guess I would have to play around and see shoot some video with the underwater mode on and than shoot some in auto mode see which I like and than further play with it.

I have the same camcorder in an Ikelite housing.This past week was the first time I used it in Grand Cayman I was very satisfied.I tried pretty much all the settings etc and the best was Automatic while using the supplied Tropical water filter that Ikelite includes with the housing.I also have a Solas 1200 vid light which I used at low setting on deeper dives.I will try to load some vids.

The Ikelite housing gives you access to the touch pad along with all other controls.I bought the housing from Scubatoys for $700.

Lights... Lights... Lights.

A standard canister light will not produce quality results. If you are going to make the switch, do it right and invest in at least one properly designed and engineered video light.

Have to declare a conflict of interest, but check this out....

Diving Equipment Underwater Light | LED Diving Light

4000 lumens. That will light up the North-East.

Eastenddiver,

That sounds like a very nice case and having full access is very nice but at $700 it's quite high I am sure its worth it as I saw an equinox case that was high up there it seems that these case's across the board are just plain expensive. So I will have to search and eveluate whats out there.

Doppler,

thanks for the link that light looks crazy and I am sure quite more than I need. I am not sure if the canon case can mount lights never looked at that I'm sure it probably can I know the Ikelight housings/equinox ones can for sure. Would probably have to get one at a time though to make things work.

a22 keep an eye on ebay for a used one.Also contact Ikelite and ask them, reason being the Canon Hf M40 is no longer in production .When I was looking Scubatoys was the least expensive.

a22 keep an eye on ebay for a used one.Also contact Ikelite and ask them, reason being the Canon Hf M40 is no longer in production .When I was looking Scubatoys was the least expensive.

They replaced that model I think last month with the Newer M50 which is really an Identical camcorder. I went and checked it out and even spoke with a canon Rep thought about upgrading but he said there is virtually no difference between the two models.

I am not sure if the canon case can mount lights
It has a standard tripod mount on the bottom. A Inon tray/handle/arms plus adapter for his light cost my buddy $225. You can do about a $100 less with a loc-line system like L&M sells for the Sola's. You can see it under Extras here: http://www.uwimaging.com/sola1200v.html

---------- Post added ----------

Have to declare a conflict of interest, but check this out....

Diving Equipment Underwater Light | LED Diving Light

4000 lumens. That will light up the North-East.
Did I miss it or is there no price on that website? How does it compare to the 4320 lumen Aditech Mangrove? http://www.aditech-usa.com/en/underwater-lighting/1146-mangrove-videocompact-vc-4l6.html The size/weight looks easier to manage on the Euphos, I'm a fan of thru case charging. Please PM a price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom