Got the go ahead to buy a new camera and housing....now what?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadianTravelAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
Before I got married and had kids, we used to go on several dive trips a year. I loved u/w photography. Over the years I built a nice S&S system with MMIIex, all the lenses you could buy, 2 strobes (YS-60 was the main one), etc, etc.

Had kids, trips got cut down to maybe 1 per year and when we did get away, maybe just 2-4 dives each time to balance time with family. So, been taking photos and videos with a 5MP Fuji point and shoot in a Fuji housing. It's been a good and handy little camera, but we've had so many amazing experiences over the past couple of years, I wish I had better resolution video, better lighting, etc.

Just had my 10 year wedding anniversary and my husband gave me a card that says I can buy a new DSLR and housing. Yay! But I've been so out of the loop on the digital world of u/w photography, I really don't know where to start. In theory, I'd love to be able to take stunning top side and u/w photos. I'd also like the ability to take HD video.

To tell the truth, I'm not sure if full DSLR is the way for me to go. Since being a mom is a top priority, I'm thinking that the learning curve might be a bit steep for me to focus on at the moment.

The other consideration is the S&S lenses and strobes I have. Is it possible that some of this can be used on a new S&S system?

What advice would you give in this situation?

Thanks!

Funny, I have been sitting here pricing out the Aquatica D800 housing and 9.25 dome. $5000 not including strobes, arms or camera and lenses.... I can't wait to hear what people recommend. (I already have the camera and lenses) Sounds like you have a great husband!

Spend some time learning.

I suggest you spend a bit of time getting up to speed on "digital" strobes. Also make sure you understand the difference between DSLR and the current high end compacts.

Your old S&S stuff is not likely to be of much use.

Many current strobes feature optical cables only as many lower end digital camera do not have a hot shoe. This type of strobe must be aware of the number of pre flashes that the digital camera performs.

Higher end strobes will have have a connector for wired cables and can be used in manual or ttl mode with the appropriate camera / adapter.

High end compacts will be more like your old system in that they generally utilize wet lenses, letting you shoot wide angle and macro on the same dive. DSLR generally do not. But there are exceptions.

I shoot a DSLR topside. Last year I got a Nikon D7000 with Nauticam housing. The camera I was using underwater was a Canon G11 and Ike housing. The DSLR is far heavier and larger. The Nauticam housing is superb. The DSLR has a far faster focus. Effectively all of the lag is in my synapses and none in the camera. I can get shots of fish that were virtually impossible before. Also with the point and shoot, the focus was on the outline. With a DSLR, I can focus on an eye ball. With the point and shoot, Imtook about five times the photos and got fewer keepers. I can do things now that I never could before.

Now equipment will not make you a better photographer. I have seen people take superb photos with a point and shoot. But if you are ready to move up, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

nIf you can, go to one of the retail stores that specializes in this type of gear. I use Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale. It is nice to be able to go in and hold the stuff. Also they have information on their websites as does Backscatter and Blue Water Photo.

Many people are very happy with point and shoots or mirror less systems. I really, really like my DSLR. It would drive others crazy. It isn't for everyone but it is the real deal for some.

The mirror less Sony NEX-7 is a great camera with a nauticam housing and YS-D1 strobes. We also have the Sony RX-100 which is a point n shoot but takes fantastic pictures topside and underwater.

What's the budget to start with

Budget is basically open...within reason. Whatever I end up buying will be the system I will have to live with for the next 10 years or so, lol. May have to add on in pieces, but I know the basic components will be several thousand dollars to do it right.

To Pat W's point...are there any stores in Toronto area who specializes in u/w photography?

And yes, my husband is great! My dive buddy for life!

To tell the truth, I'm not sure if full DSLR is the way for me to go. Since being a mom is a top priority...

As a mom with young children in tow, are you sure you are in a position to devote the entirety of your carry-on allotment to a DSLR camera/housing/lighting system? Are you going to have a fair amount of time in general to devote to your photography during the trip? Will there be an abundance of dives during the trip to where you can dedicate each one to a specific photographic objective like macro or landscape so you have the right lens on when you descend?

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket but a little reality now may prevent disappointment later. A DSLR system may be perfectly appropriate for your situation but that is a conclusion you have to reach on your own. Should you decide against however, there is good news that cameras have come a very long way since your last purchase. Micro four-thirds has come to market and there are some excellent high end point-and-shoot cameras just below that. Even Canon who seems to have been lagging behind the crowd lately has finally brought 1080p/60 video to its latest G16 & S120 models (not to mention HDR and nighttime/star timelapse capability).

But you need to fully define your situation first, and then decide what type of camera fits best. You may find a high end P&S at 20-30% of the cost of a DSLR/housing combination makes for a good 5-year solution and then pick up the DSLR later as vacations become more your own. When choosing a strobe however, get the one you really want as it will likely be a 20-year companion, transitioning between multiple cameras.

To Pat W's point...are there any stores in Toronto area who specializes in u/w photography?
Henry's and Vistek know little to nothing about diving. All of the dive shops I have been in know little to nothing about cameras.

The dive shops will flog cameras, but only what they got. Not a wide range of selection or diverse knowledge.

So no. Nothing around here.

Here's what we ask customers. I suggest asking yourself a lot of the same questions and then see about the equipment secondly. I do think that figuring out the housing first you want (or at least the type), then the camera, can be one of the best approaches.

• What are you going to do with your photos?
  • What types of photos do you like to take; macro, wide angle, warm water cold water...?
  • Is video important? All cameras now take video.
  • Do you dive to take photos, or take photos while you're diving?
  • What's your experience level? Can you do the type of photography you want to do safely without harming yourself or the reef?
  • Traveling a lot, want something small; or your just want the best gear and you'll deal with the luggage?
  • Have old gear you want to re-use or add to?

There's lots more, but the above are some of the basics.

Give us a call, or visit our website if we can help. Some of our system packages can give you an idea or the parts involved.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom