Got the new Cressi rolling backpack bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Volleyball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Both on cressi’s website and Amazon don’t have any interior pictures. I haven’t taken it anywhere but it does seem like a great combo of both the ability to roll it through an airport and the ability to use it as a backpack if you find yourself needing to carry it through a beach

I got an aqualung version of a roller bag then I realized too late that I can’t check-in my expensive scuba gear in a soft mesh roller bag and expect the gear to remain intact.

Do you really plan to check-in your gear like this and feel safe about it?

I got an aqualung version of a roller bag then I realized too late that I can’t check-in my expensive scuba gear in a soft mesh roller bag and expect the gear to remain intact.

Do you really plan to check-in your gear like this and feel safe about it?

I've checked a dive bag many times. I have a buddy who married a Filipina who brings his gear to the Philippines annually. He said he's never had issues but does carry on his dive computer

I've checked a dive bag many times. I have a buddy who married a Filipina who brings his gear to the Philippines annually. He said he's never had issues but does carry on his dive computer

So you are saying that the scuba gear bag will be handled with kid-gloves by baggage handling staff across transit points? And also items will not be pilfered by opening the zipper using the ballpen trick? Do you also plan on packing regulator sets and hoses into the soft mesh bag? Or just BP/W and wetsuits etc…?

To rephrase the question - does baggage checked-in as sports equipment undergo special handling so that it is not thrown about while loading and unloading from the cargo hold? Theft by baggage handlers is another issue altogether…

This is the thing that I have great difficulty trusting regardless of anecdotes on the Internet. I would love to be proven wrong honestly!

Both on cressi’s website and Amazon don’t have any interior pictures. I haven’t taken it anywhere but it does seem like a great combo of both the ability to roll it through an airport and the ability to use it as a backpack if you find yourself needing to carry it through a beach
Looks good:

the only issue i've had with these types of bags is that they kill my lower back due to bad strap placement.
It looks similar in this situation.

It could be interesting to report on the actual wearing comfort once you've tested it with your gear in it!

concerning baggage theft / damage to your gear:
Just make sure anything fragile is in your hand luggage (computer / mask)
I asuggest carrying regs in hand luggage, but if you insist into checking them in, maybe try to disassemble it and just take a small wrench with you for reassembly on site so there's no possibility of hoses being damaged.

And towels are your friend! Just towels and correct placement. They will basically cushion an elephants' weight if correctly placed in your luggage

If you're paranoid of baggage theft, just get a little padlock that will dissuade a first time opportunist.
But if someone really wants to steal from you it's the same as in normal daily life: make sure you have insurance because a real thief/criminal will always be able to get your stuff.

So you are saying that the scuba gear bag will be handled with kid-gloves by baggage handling staff across transit points? And also items will not be pilfered by opening the zipper using the ballpen trick? Do you also plan on packing regulator sets and hoses into the soft mesh bag? Or just BP/W and wetsuits etc…?

To rephrase the question - does baggage checked-in as sports equipment undergo special handling so that it is not thrown about while loading and unloading from the cargo hold? Theft by baggage handlers is another issue altogether…

This is the thing that I have great difficulty trusting regardless of anecdotes on the Internet. I would love to be proven wrong honestly!

It's all about risk tolerance, if I check it I purchase the airfare that includes baggage insurance. One is always welcome to leave their gear at home and rent if bringing their own gear causes them too much stress/anxiety

Looks good:

the only issue i've had with these types of bags is that they kill my lower back due to bad strap placement.
It looks similar in this situation.

It could be interesting to report on the actual wearing comfort once you've tested it with your gear in it!

concerning baggage theft / damage to your gear:
Just make sure anything fragile is in your hand luggage (computer / mask)
I asuggest carrying regs in hand luggage, but if you insist into checking them in, maybe try to disassemble it and just take a small wrench with you for reassembly on site so there's no possibility of hoses being damaged.

And towels are your friend! Just towels and correct placement. They will basically cushion an elephants' weight if correctly placed in your luggage

If you're paranoid of baggage theft, just get a little padlock that will dissuade a first time opportunist.
But if someone really wants to steal from you it's the same as in normal daily life: make sure you have insurance because a real thief/criminal will always be able to get your stuff.

Remember, you'll almost never use it as a backpack, going to use wheels whenever possible. Yet I'll try loading it up, wearing it as a backpack, and will report back

It's all about risk tolerance, if I check it I purchase the airfare that includes baggage insurance. One is always welcome to leave their gear at home and rent if bringing their own gear causes them too much stress/anxiety
In my part of the world, baggage insurance owed by Airline is a standard US$50 for lost baggage whereas my gear is worth more than US$2500… now I take DAN travel insurance in addition and pay the US$150 annual add-on travel subscription penalty as a precaution… at least it covers lost gear to a substantial amount.

Your friend should play the lottery because he is certainly lucky. I have been to the Philippines many times and my luggage gets beaten up each time. I have taken to putting anything fragile or semi-valuable in boxes and use my clothes as packing material. I always get inspected by TSA that messes things up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom