• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Got your flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 23, 2019.

1. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

DBPacific can't take the vaccine. Whereas you can.

But you choose not to do so whereas DBPacific would if could. Quit playing dumb . . .unless you aren't playing

2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Nope. Your arguments fail.

Some are better than others, and some are safer than others, but generally modern medical science is a lot better than your superstitious approach. I went to school with kids who survived polio but were crippled for life.

Yep, these anti-vaxxers are making the nation more dangerous for all.

Fortunately half of the nation is slowing flu down some by getting vaccinated. It's unfortunate that so many are like you as we could stop flu with a higher vaccination rate. Since so many of y'all don't, it still spreads and kills thousands.

RyanT, DBPacific and chillyinCanada like this.
  3. DBPacific

DBPacific Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I can't take it. I know for certain that I have spread sicknesses to other people by being a carrier and if I could get vaccinated to protect them and myself, I would. My messed up body is the source of many frustrations for me, spreading disease to others being one of them.

Polio isn't a widespread problem because so many people got vaccinated for it. Just like how measles was thought to be almost eradicated in the US but now with more people not vaccinating it has resurged and killed again.

Individual choices are only individual when your choices don't leave you open to hurting others, whether you have control of it or not. Choosing not to vaccinate is not an individual choice because it leaves you open to being a carrier for a disease that could kill someone else who can't vaccinate or who, like you, chose not to.

chillyinCanada, RyanT and DandyDon like this.
  4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

These tough guys are just afraid of needles. They're like some men who faint when they go to visit someone in the hospital.

5. Tool Belt

Tool Belt Barracuda

Let's talk about something less controversial......like "Impeachment" :wink:

6. CaveSloth

CaveSloth Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    peach-mint is actually delicious.

7. Degenerate

Degenerate DIR Practitioner

Is this an american thing...?
    Here in Sweden they will only recommend flu vaccines to elderly/at risk people, the only exception I've experienced was the swine flu vaccine a bunch of years ago which they encouraged everyone to get.
    I've never had a flu vaccine apart from the swine flu one (which gave a fair amount of people narcolepsy), and neither has anyone else in my family, the flu is just not a big problem here.
    Maybe it's affordable healthcare, maybe it's Maybelline.

I love vaccines and herd immunity is awesome, and I'll be first in line to throw bricks at the anti-vax people, but I've never ever experienced the urge for everyone to get flu vaccines like mentioned here.

8. DandyDon

That's a good question. I see at Influenza in Sweden - Season 2018–2019 — Folkhälsomyndigheten that y'all had only 505 deaths for 10 million citizens, which is a very low rate of about 0.00005, compared to the US with deaths as low at 12,000 for 328 million, with an even lower rate of 0.000037 - altho that rate can be five times as high when we have 60,000 deaths some years. Maybe we just have different national views as well as politics, when considering hospitalization costs and all? Here is our national government's view: Burden of Influenza

Degenerate likes this.
  9. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Maybe because big pharm isn't any more honorable than big oil. Could also be the CDC has an agenda that should be looked into. Things aren't always what they appear.

soldsoul4foos likes this.
  10. DandyDon

I think it's more of a difference in the general views of the countries. Sometimes I do think we keep dying patients alive unreasonably in the US.