• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Got your flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 23, 2019.

1. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If you are serious about the question I will try and provide an answer just from my general knowledge of the flu and flu vaccines. I have no specific knowledge about this case. (and my info is based on US statistics)

The year that Jude was vaccinated was the last year that nasal vaccine was available and it is quite likely that at his young age it was the choice of the parents to avoid the trauma of injection. Unfortunately the nasal vaccine used at that time proved to be completely ineffective for children and was subsequently removed from the market. But that same year, children given the more traditional injection were 63 percent less likely to get the flu.

But more to the point, response to all vaccines vary from one individual to the next. One individual might show immunity while another, even in the same household, might not. Then too Jude contracted the virus late in the season when his immunity may have been waning. I think the point of the article is that it would only have taken one break in the chain of exposure to change the outcome.

divinh, markmud, dlofting and 2 others like this.
  2. dlofting

dlofting DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    You asked if my question was serious. It is, I want to learn. However, I am also making sure that someone is not using this tragedy to advance a specific line of thinking that may be questionable. Thank you for your answer.

Is what you said above, about immunity development true for all vaccines or is it specific to flu vaccines? You said his immunity might have been waning. Is short term immunity specific to flu vaccines? If so, why is that?

3. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

The answer is complex. Tetanus shots are suggested every 10 years; they can last longer but start waning. Many vaccines are good for life after completing the recommended routine, be it one or more shots. Flu can be among the most challenging, an evil microbe that mutates quickly, even within a season, and while the vaccines are aimed at the most expected strains, even the effectiveness against the targeted strains wanes faster. It'd require a degree in microbiology is explain it better, but then neither of us would understand at that level.

The only hope for any population any flu season is to vaccinate most, hope the vaccines work on most encountered, and the percentages of infection drop, eventually stopped. Our population generally doesn't cooperate.

I have "Irish twin" great-grandchildren now ages 1 & 2 and I'd be crushed if either were lost. My granddaughter needed a parent present to get the flu shot, didn't get to it, came down with flu, but luckily no one else in the house got it. I'll be a little more aggressive with my reminders next year.

4. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

Individual variability is present in almost all things human. Its one of the things that make diagnosis and treatment of disease and illness so challenging. Vaccines work by triggering the multiple immune responses in the body but immunity occurs when the memory cells are activated. It is these cells, T and B lymphocytes that produce immunity.

Don touched on one of the main factors with the flu virus, it mutates quickly. But more then that each individual will have there own response to any antigen. As said previously, the very young and the old(ish) to very old all have weakened responses because of their immature or aged immune systems. Other persons with weak immune systems, either from disease or medications (or both) also mount a lessened immune response. Then there is just the inherent differences in each individual and I don’t think anyone yet knows why this exists. Perhaps one day genetic testing will solve this riddle.

An example of this is the Hep B vaccine. It is a 3 three dose vaccine that then is suppose to offer lifelong immunity. But a blood test after the series is recommended to check for immunity. Most respond but not all. An example of what we thought was lifelong immunity that wasn’t is pertussis. That is why we have seen a resurgence in whooping cough and an adult booster dose is now recommended. Remember the MMR? It use to be a single dose vaccine but after recognizing that this still left a significant number of people susceptible a second dose was added.

Then too there are those that respond inappropriately to antigens and we say those individuals are allergic or have adverse drug reactions.

divinh, RyanT, chillyinCanada and 5 others like this.
  5. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

markmud, uncfnp and RyanT like this.
  6. RyanT

RyanT Solo Diver

@uncfnp, thanks! I always appreciate sound advice from knowledgable health care professionals!

uncfnp likes this.
  7. Vancouver Sofa and Patio

Vancouver Sofa and Patio Banned

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I have had a light case of Shingles. Difficult to seek out a pharmacy with the vaccine, but finally got both shots. Had flu like side effects the second day after getting the vaccine with the second dose worse than the primary . . Outdoor Furniture Vancouver

8. DandyDon

I've had all of the vaccinations I can think of, but I guess I really should get checked. I don't guess Medicare would be interested in covering those tests. :oops: Hep A & B, Measles just last year as I couldn't remember ever having the illness or vaccine and didn't want to be a carrier, Shingles, Pneumonia, etc.

Welcome to SB. Are you really trying to advertise your business?

My son-in-law had an early age case of Shingles, sounded scary, and I have since joined my daughter in encouraging him to find and get the shots, but he's dragging for some reason. I've even had a very young cousin with it. I don't know why she didn't get the Chicken Pox shot, or maybe it didn't work?

9. DandyDon

chillyinCanada likes this.
  10. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    On the subject of immunity, not specific to influenza: it looks like my husband has come down with his third bad cold of the season, and I haven't been sick yet. I don't get it. I'm the one who works at a courthouse full of children; all of my co-workers have been taking turns hacking up phlegm as per usual since school started, and my husband has been unemployed for the last four months! Right before my Turks & Caicos trip last month, it seemed like all my co-workers got sick at once, and so did my husband. He's such a mensch that he insisted on sleeping on the couch so he wouldn't get me sick and ruin my dive trip. Did it work? Or did I actually give him the cold that was going around my office without catching it myself?

Anyway, we both got our flu shots. Wish there was a vaccine for the common cold.

chillyinCanada likes this.