• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Got your flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 23, 2019.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Respective resistances to viruses vary greatly and can't be measured. I guess you're just more tolerant. Working with those walking Petri dishes may add to your resistance, but you may have natural abilities. Sure, you may have exposed him to a new cold virus, but that's life. It was nice of him to sleep on the couch, but washing your hands with soap often probably works best for all of these airborne viruses.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. divinh

divinh Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    When I'm busy working, I rarely get sick and if I do, it's just for a very short period of time, compared to my coworkers, i.e. one day for a flu versus seven days, as with my coworkers. When I do get a flu, I will stay home and let it take its course, versus fighting it every day, and I think, prolonging it, as with my coworkers.

When I have time off, I get sick, if there's something going around. When I got shingles, it was after being off for a few months and it's said that shingles is sometimes triggered by stress, which would be weird after having so much time off, though it could be the worry over starting up work again... who knows...

I guess what I'm saying is that perhaps your body is more amped to take on viruses when you're more active.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  3. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Is your husband stressed due to not working? Does he go to a gym or malls or any place that he could be picking up viruses?

I've read that we will never get the same common cold again, that we've had before and that's supposedly an explanation for why we get fewer common colds as we age.

I've no idea whether or not this is true but it sounded right to me lol

4. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My 16-year-old granddaughter has Flu B now. Next year, if any of them haven't got their shots by Halloween, I'm going to drive them to the pharmacy myself. Fortunately, everyone in my family is surviving the flu rounds without complications. I've been concerned about the great-grandbabies of course, but they're developing new immunities with no severe problems.

I took the deadbolts off at my house and to the village hardware store with one employee who knows how to change them Tuesday but he was home sick. Tried again today; still sick. Hope he recovers ok. Finding replacements exactly the same size for this old house could be a challenge, but not as rough as being too sick to work for days.

RyanT likes this.