• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Got your flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Jonn

Jonn Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My first flu shot last year didn’t give me the flu (or autism!), but it did leave a lump behind that’s still there now. Holding off on that ‘till my next general exam.

2. divinh

divinh Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I keep my flu immunizations papers together and when I put the latest one down, I noticed that all my shots have been within a few days of each other, no matter where I got them from. I guess I do pay attention to reminders.

I've gotten the shingles before. It started out as an itchy spot on my chest. I initially thought I was bitten by something. Over time, just about a week, it grew into what looked like a rash. It got worse and worse and about three weeks later, it had bubbled and blistered. Just very gross. By the time I had a doctor's appointment, it was very easy to diagnose. I recall being given an anti-viral. Eventually it stopped. The pattern followed the usual ones read about, started on the torso, wrapped around from front to back and limited to one side of the body. I didn't have any pain, so perhaps it was a "mild" case. (It itched a lot though.) It's taken several years for the blister scars to heal. There's still some scars, but not as bad as it had been.

3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

The one time I didn’t get my flu shot was in 2015. For some reason I didn’t get it before I went to Charlotte to visit a friend. Must have caught the bug from someone on the plane coming back. I was sick a few days later. It kicked my butt. I’ve never been so sick before. I missed two full and two half days of work. I never take that much time off for illness. I was weak for weeks afterwards.

4. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

I have a preteen cousin who has had it multiple times. I asked her mom if they had looked for Shringrix vaccine, she said they would look, but I don't know how that worked out.

Misdiagnosis happens too, of course. I dunno.

5. DBPacific

DBPacific Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I can't get it because of medical complications, but my fiancée got his as soon as they were available. So far neither of us have had it. I'm one of those relying on herd immunity. Anti-vaxxers scare me.

DandyDon and Marie13 like this.
  6. Cert1967

Cert1967 Let's Go Skiing

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Part D?

7. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, even the very young can get shingles, although it is less common. Anyone that has had chicken pox can have shingles. And yes, you can have more than one outbreak though one episode is most typical. Recurrence is greater in individuals that experienced prolonged pain with their shingles. Vaccination is still recommended even if you have had a prior episode.

8. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

That depends on which program you take.

9. mcpowell

mcpowell Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I was an early bird on the Shingrix shot(s). My doc advised them during my physical in 2018. It was a no-brainer. He made a good point...while both the shots ended up costing me a bit over $300 (total) he said most people, who get the shingles, will spend that much on medication. I know quite a few people who have had the shingles, and they have all said they would gladly pay $300+ for the Shingrix shots.

RyanT likes this.
  10. dewdropsonrosa

dewdropsonrosa Solo Diver

I had my vaccine about three weeks ago! Having done the flu once, I have no inclination to do it again.

I inadvertently missed my vaccine in October 2016 (work health clinic was running behind and I had to attend a conference call, never made it back) and collapsed at work on April 15, 2017. I coughed blood and mucus for about seven days and spent 20-21 hours a day sleeping so that my immune system could keep up.

I was weak for another four weeks and couldn't dive until seven weeks out. I didn't have viral typing done, but the only other person who was as sick as I was that week tested positive for an H1N1 that looked like it came straight outta 1918.