• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Got your flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 23, 2019.

1. KathyV

KathyV ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It's probably fine to go to a pharmacy, but doctors don't always know what is covered by each patient's insurance policy - so it is prudent to check first.

I had a reaction to the first dose of Shingrix, my arm was swollen and sore for several days but it subsided. I only had some minor soreness after the second shot it subsided fairly quickly.

AfterDark likes this.
  2. KathyV

I'm not trying to start an argument and I am reaching back a lot of years here, but when I studied Epidemiology in Grad School we were assigned to do an intensive analysis of Linus Pauling's original work on "Vitamin C and the Common Cold" as an illustration of poor research. Pauling's grandiose claims were based on badly designed small studies with few subjects and inadequate data.

I respect Dr. Pauling, he won 2 Nobel Prizes - for both Chemistry and Peace - and I am sure that he strongly believed in Vitamin C, but the data he cited did not adequately support his claims. Even a humble grad student could see that without much effort.

3. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    .....And he was right on opposing open air atomic testing also. Something we take for granted these days. Back then open air atomic testing was the only game in town. Opposing it then was almost tantamount to aiding the Soviets!

KathyV likes this.
  4. KathyV

He was truly a pioneer in the field of atomic energy and later in life he worked hard to promote atomic safety and the peaceful applications of nuclear power.

AfterDark likes this.
  5. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

6. DBPacific

DBPacific Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Yeah his work on Vitamin C really isn't very meaningful. It's used as an example in almost every one of my chemistry classes

KathyV likes this.
  7. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi NP uncfnp,

Thanks for your advice. I went back and reread my post. I wondered where you got the "interesting" part. Your experience as a NP is where you got that, I assume.

I am focused on "interesting" because that is exactly how the RN and DR reacted. Both of their jaws dropped and then the head scratching started. They took pictures and then compared pictures to the progressive pictures that my wife has on her phone.

I am printing off your post so that I can ask about the points you brought up.

Thanks for taking an interest,
    m

KathyV likes this.
  8. Cert1967

Cert1967 Let's Go Skiing

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yep. And Part D plans vary with which one you select. I have the AARP Walgreens plan that works well for my few current daily meds. It considers Shingrix vaccinations Tier 4 so $415 annual deductible before copay. I found discount codes that lowered the costs some, but I decided to I wanted my costs applied to my annual deductible as it was early in the year, and one never knows what will come up in life needs - so we had to ignore the discounts. I paid a little more than $320 for the two shots, but I was happy with the 90% success rate. I'll be pissed if I get the 10% failure rate, but still consider it a good approach.

Many Medicare members choose Plan C Advantage plans instead of D. Another choice with different results.

We all have plan B of course, and your link shows which vaccines it covers...
    Medicare Part B covers the following immunizations: ● Hepatitis B vaccine (for patients at high or intermediate risk) ● Influenza virus vaccine ● Pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine ● Vaccines directly related to treatment of an injury or direct exposure to a disease or condition​
    That gets me my annual, high does Flu shot for free and got my the two pneumonia vaccine shots I think it was for free. I already did my Hep B shots back in my younger days (no need nowadays), and that last part will cover my next tetanus shot when I need it. I think plan B covered my MMR shot when I requested it as I never had measles, but my NP was hesitant on signing off on it as it could have been denied. (BTW, almost everyone should get Hep A & B vaccinations, but that's another discussion.)

KathyV likes this.
  10. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    How ya'll doing with the flu shot? I've heard it isn't as great a match for the flu as 1st hoped. I'm still healthy not even a cold, yet. Everyone I know that got the shot as been sick however,(including my wife) wondering if that's common, seems to be here in RI. We've a death or 2 from the flu here; seems it flared up, subsided and is now on the rise again in RI.