Gourmet Dining at Pirates Point Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When we are on Little Cayman we usually don't eat out much, except perhaps an occasional drink and a snack at the Hungry Iquana. That's because we stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort and take their meal plan - and we are generally very happy with the food, service and diving at LCBR - so no need to look further.

But I found this "Golden Spoons" review of the "gourmet dining" at Pirates Point quite interesting - has anyone stayed/dined there, what was your opinion?

Golden Spoons Review: Pirates Point Resort

Last edited:
The first time I went to Little Cayman we stayed at Pirates Point. At that time Gladys was still alive and running the resort.

The food is as good as this review says it is. I'm trying to think as I type this if I have ever had better food while on a dive trip and I can't say that I have. It's food you would find in a high end restaurant, especially the dinner meals. I remember the breakfast and lunch being really good as well but it's their dinners that set this place apart. You won't find the variety of selections that you find in the evenings at Little Cayman Beach Resort but I think you would love what they have.

The resort itself is just fine but not as nice overall as the LCBR as far as rooms and facilities. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is having to ride in a van each morning to their boat bringing all your equipment and hauling it back each afternoon. I guess we get spoiled at LCBR. Also, at that time they just did two dives in the morning and no afternoon dives, but they were long dives in the 70 to 80 minute range each if you could go that long with your air.

Overall we enjoyed our trip there and would go back but things are just so easy at the LCBR it's hard not returning there each time.

My wife and I got married on that trip to Little Cayman and Gladys held a reception for us in her home that evening. She was a really nice lady.

My wife and I got married on that trip to Little Cayman and Gladys held a reception for us in her home that evening. She was a really nice lady.

That's so special, how wonderful!

We have stayed at Pirate's Point 3 times. The first time Gladys was still alive. She was amazing and fun! I believe that she trained with Julia Child and owned a cooking school in Texas before purchasing Pirate's Point. Almost all of the guests at PP are repeats, often returning for many years. Small, intimate, friendly place. Diving the Bloody Bay Wall, 2 long dives a day as mentioned. Extremely competent staff, taking time to help new and old divers with obtaining perfect buoyancy.

There are 2 chefs. Dianne has been there for many years and is fantastic. Winston is new. I will be there in April and looking forward to seeing what he has to offer. I am sure it will be good, standards are high at PP.

For me, this would be a non starter. Being bused to the boat, only 2 dives per day and one entree choice at dinner. Is Pirate's Point east of the lagoon and barrier reef so as to allow shore diving? If so, might be compensation for the other restrictions.

Pirate's Point is west of Little Cayman Beach Resort and Hungry Iguana, toward the Lighthouse. Not sure if you can shore dive there, but it is past or at the end of the fringe reef.

Right, west not east, my error.
If beyond the fringe, then it should be possible to shore dive there. Anyone have info?

Yes, Pirate's Point is west of the lagoon and shore diving should be possible from there. Whether they will give you tanks to do it is something I don't know. It appears on googlemaps that there is a bit of a shallow ironshore reef just off of the beach, so getting back in might be a bit tricky if there is much of a swell. There are several mooring balls just offshore there and to the east that are where most of the diving takes place when the north side is blown out. It is generally deeper structure than the north side and at least to my memory, not as lush with growth.

Back
Top Bottom