GPH 7 Video settings for deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Cobra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am conducting a dive to 130-150' tomorrow onto the USS Emmons. It's a pretty big deal for me and I wanted to record the dive to share with some friends leading me to acquire a hero 7 black from a friend for the dive.

I'm just wondering what the best settings will be for me to capture this dive. I do not have a red filter, nor do I have a tray and light sources.

thanks for your input.

the low light setting does 30 fps by default iirc. you can try manually setting the iso and going to 24 fps instead it comes out too dark still or grainy on the preview.

Please elaborate as to why lights will not help if a GoPro is set for wide angle on a deep, dark dive.
I think the idea is that light penetration won't be that far from the camera. It'd be great for taking wide angle of something 3 feet (1 m) away, but not so good for a sweeping view of the ship. I use a pair of 2500 lumen lamps (5000 total) and even in shallow water you really notice the color degradation more than a few feet away. Close ups look great, distance shots need a lot of post-processing.

I think the idea is that light penetration won't be that far from the camera.

Thanks. I'm reviewing the best settings for my newly acquired Hero 7 and it seems that the wide angle setting is the best- and it cannot be changed while in the underwater housing. So I will typically be in situations where the camera is set for wide angle & lights will certainly be used in dark areas such as inside wrecks- the post was rather confusing.

Yes, using my lights (Archon V2) on anything past 8-10' is not productive.

Back
Top Bottom