Graf Zeppelin: Diving at the unique WW2 German aircraft carrier (photos and videos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pierre-sifnos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Diving at a depth of 90 metres is demanding and when we got there we were just amazed by the sheer size of the wreck.

Full photostory and diving videos: Pierre Kosmidis Πιερ Κοσμίδης: Graf Zeppelin: Diving at the unique WW2 German aircraft carrier (photos and videos)

There were lots of theories regarding Graf Zeppelin's loss, as she was taken by the Soviets and because of the cold war, no one was really sure what happened for decades. We had the opportunity to solve a mystery and find out details lost at the bottom of the sea", Dimitris "Dima" Stavrakakis says and adds:

"Some people believed that the Graf was deliberately scuttled by the Soviets, full of chemical substances and war equipment left over from the War, others believed that the Soviets loaded the aircraft carrier with nazis and sunk it, while some claimed that the Graf was sunk during secret weapons testing."

"It surely is one of the most amazing dives I've ever done so far and I can say that we found nothing that could corroborate the claims about chemical warfare or other armaments or nazis in the wreck."

"Diving at the Graf is like being in many football fields put together.

The flight deck, with the wooden beams still intact bear the marks of shelling (see photo below) and the hangars are so big they reminded me of the huge cahedrals.

It felt like centuries when we were inside the Graf.

Diving there is a quite unusual and surely memorable experience", Dimitris "Dima" Stavrakakis tells pierrekosmidis.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Graf_V_2010_-01.jpeg
    Graf_V_2010_-01.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 215
  • graf10_11122008_350.jpg
    graf10_11122008_350.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7238.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 210
Diving at a depth of 90 metres is demanding and when we got there we were just amazed by the sheer size of the wreck.

Full photostory and diving videos: Pierre Kosmidis Πιερ Κοσμίδης: Graf Zeppelin: Diving at the unique WW2 German aircraft carrier (photos and videos)

There were lots of theories regarding Graf Zeppelin's loss, as she was taken by the Soviets and because of the cold war, no one was really sure what happened for decades. We had the opportunity to solve a mystery and find out details lost at the bottom of the sea", Dimitris "Dima" Stavrakakis says and adds:

"Some people believed that the Graf was deliberately scuttled by the Soviets, full of chemical substances and war equipment left over from the War, others believed that the Soviets loaded the aircraft carrier with nazis and sunk it, while some claimed that the Graf was sunk during secret weapons testing."

"It surely is one of the most amazing dives I've ever done so far and I can say that we found nothing that could corroborate the claims about chemical warfare or other armaments or nazis in the wreck."

"Diving at the Graf is like being in many football fields put together.

The flight deck, with the wooden beams still intact bear the marks of shelling (see photo below) and the hangars are so big they reminded me of the huge cahedrals.

It felt like centuries when we were inside the Graf.

Diving there is a quite unusual and surely memorable experience", Dimitris "Dima" Stavrakakis tells pierrekosmidis.blogspot.com
Thanks so much for posting plus the blog links. Fantastic achievment.

That was very cool!

Back
Top Bottom