Granada recommendations: dive shop and lodging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HillEasterner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'll be diving in Grenada with my brother at the end of March. We're experienced divers (200+ dives over 15 years) looking for a dive shop that's not a human conveyor belt for resort tourists, and for a place to stay that's not a resort (but which is on/near the beach and close to the nightlife, such as it is). We're independent/backpacker travelers, but 40 years old, so we're not looking for a party hostel or anything. A boutique hotel, Airbnb, or guesthouse of some kind would be ideal. We may also go to Carriacou for a couple of nights. Thanks for any advice you have!

Best,
Ryan

Aquanauts for diving. Can't speak to places to stay.

+1 for Aquanauts. I would also ask them for accommodation suggestions. I believe that they have partnerships with some reasonable places

Aquanauts and True Blue Bay Resort. They go together like peas and carrots.

As far as other guests go, I see them early at breakfast, lunch, and at dinner time. It isn't like everyone hangs around the pool.

Nightlife? I'm not too sure if there is any. But I wouldn't seek it out anyway.

Peter and Gerlinde run 2 or 3 boats. One for experienced, one for the other resorts, where folks may not be such keen divers, and one for the numpties. Once you get on the more advanced boat, you get to dive Bianca C and some of the deeper wrecks. Not to the bottom of course, but 130 plus or minus depth.

+3 for Aquanauts.
True Blue is where many of their clients were from, but they picked me up and dropped me back to the Rex Grenadian where I was staying. I found Aquanauts to be a top notch dive op with uncrowded boats. Going to the Atlantic side for the Hema 1 on a perfect day was a highlight as well as the Bianca C and Shakem which were closer shipwrecks.

There are a number of smaller, interesting looking lodgings in the Grand Anse area, I considered a few of them but wound up staying at True Blue for a few days after a liveaboard. It's a quirky (in a good way) little resort on the water. And of course very convenient for diving with Aquanauts on-site, which has a good rep. (We didn't dive with them, had gotten dove out by then and opted to vegetate and play tourist - it's an interesting island to explore. But we got a good vibe from the shop, and from the owner with whom we had a long chat at cocktails one night.) It is on a harbor and doesn't have a real beach, but has a beach like area around a pool like thing on the water. We didn't find it super convenient to Grand Anse and did much of our eating/drinking at TB. There is live music and stuff there, and some walkable bars/restaurants. It's nearish the university.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom