Grand Bahama (Freeport) or Nassau (New Providence)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy and I are looking to take a quick dive trip to the Bahamas and would like to know which has better diving, Grand Bahama or Nassau? And, we are looking for a good, reputable dive operator to book diving with as well.

We are both experienced divers and prefer to stay away from the dive operators and boats that cater to the cruise ships. Any information and knowledge will be appreciated!

On Nassau you want Bahama Divers as they don't even pick up at the cruise port since Stuart Coves has the cruise contracts.

Also Coves is 45mins south of town (free shuttle) and Bahama Divers 5 mins east of downtown. If you stay on Cable Beach or Paradise Island both will pick you up. The Best Western on PI is decently priced since it's not waterfront. Comfort Suites is similar except they have privileges at Atlantis for their guests - no idea what that means

Those are really the only two options currently on Nassau. Several other dive operations have shut down in the past years.

Fred Riger at Grand Bahama Scuba gets recommended here regularly - he's based at one of the south side resorts. Ask to dive the Theo. One option there is that Reef Oasis Divers at the Viva Fortuna makes the run to Tiger Beach from there - too far from Nassau.

IDK who has the cruise business there but suspect it's UNEXSO.

More non-dive stuff to do on Nassau but you'll find enough on either island. I think the GBI beaches are nicer - certainly less crowded. Not dives though, too shallow and sandy. Really there's no shore diving on either island worth mentioning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom