Grand Bahama, Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi to all,
We stayed at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. Our diving was with Grand Bahama Scuba there is a link there to ORYC if you'd like to check out the resort..The first few days the seas were real rough. Debbie and I both dove the first day. She got sick and didn't dive again until the seas calmed down. I dived the next two days. Seas were 6ft+ , the vis was much less than on previous visits, water temps about 79f. The temp dropped 2 degrees over the next 2 wks. This was the same weather system that was beating up the beaches in Florida. The next two days the seas got worse and we didn't dive, Bummer. It was interesting with the approach of hurricane Michelle. Wondering if we should leave or stay. We planned the trip to be at the very end of the season when a hurricane would be unlikely. The boat owners were nervous, the locals didn't seem worried at all. I think I was checking the weather channel 4 or 5 times a day. The hurricane was a one day event for us. the center missed us by 200 mi or so. It was just a gray, rainy, windy day. A lot like some fall days at home but much warmer.

We went with a training plan, which was for Debbielou to make AOW and Rescue, and for me to make SSI Master Diver. Our original plans were for two weeks and we weren't getting in enough dives to meet these plans. We extended our stay to three weeks.

After that the weather was great! calm seas, sunny skies, Beautiful! we were diving two or three times a day. One day we dived four times. We did our first night dive, Also our first Cavern dive, Bens Cavern. We loved it. I also enjoyed Cavelike swim throughs in the coral at a couple of sites. I was considering getting into more training for Cave and Cavern Diving, but there isn't anything like this near home. Perhaps I can get the same enjoyment with wreck diving.

We both had some "learning experiences" neither of us paniced, we just took care of the problems in a calm and practiced way. Training pays off!

Debbielou and I took turns with the camera this trip. She got her first shark picture. I got some nice shots in the Cavern. We both need more practice. I need to work on framing my shots better, she needs to work on getting closer.

We saw a beautiful green moray on a shallow dive. It came swimming towards us checked us out and went back where it came from. It looked about 8ft long.All our dives had lots of Fish and Coral to see. We both did the reef fish ID coarse while we were there so we'll be able to label our photos better than in the past.

I'm Sorry I went to upload our pics to our website today and the website is gone! I don't know what happened. I will let you know when I have them posted somewhere. I will probably build a new site. I was going to re-arrange that one anyway.

This was our third diving trip to Grand Bahama. there are still sites we haven't seen, And we have favorites we love to return to. Sites range from shallow reefs 12-15ft to Theo's wreck at 103ft with a lot in between! We didn't do Theo's this trip. Debbielou hasn't been there yet so it's a must do next time.
Grand Bahama Scuba is a great outfit to dive with. They are very newbie freindly. Training is available. All crew are certified Instructors. Each dive has a guided tour of the site, but if you are certified you can do your own thing.

A man we met took us for a drive to see some of the Island rather than just the touristy places. We stopped at a freind of his house for a fish fry. It was the best fish I had ever eaten! Fresh caught Yellowtail Snapper.

Next year our plans include two weeks in Grand Bahama and two weeks in Florida. Probably two seperate trips. After that I think we may try Aruba or Hawaii.

There is so much more but this has already gotten long. Any questions feel free to contact me.

Hi all,
I found the problem with my website and uploaded some of the pics. check them out here. I think we did better on our last trip, but we're learning. :D:

Tavi

Tavi-

Loved the shark pictures. I'm jealous! I've only seen a very small reef shark in Kona. How large was the shark in your pictures?

I'd guess the biggest reef shark this time was maybe 7 foot, we saw a bigger one on the last trip, about 8 foot.
There was a nurse shark hiding under some coral on one dive, He or she didn't want to come out for pictures though.

Tavi, how is it you an DL are able to just extend a getaway for another week......you don't look old enough to be retarded yet, you know, over 65.....Larry

We're not "retarded" yet. We're not retired either! I called the boss and we wern't that busy, so we stayed and enjoyed another week. I'm in construction. We have our slow spells. Busy now though so I can save up for another trip! :D:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom