Grand Bahama Scuba Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Spent 2 weeks at the Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort where the dive op Grand Bahama Scuba was conveniently located for us. There are other ops, Sunn Odyssey Divers about a 2 minute dirve away, Unexso 5 minutes away, and Caribbean Divers a little farther away. We did dive with GBS with the only drawback being they only dive Mon-Fri. Do know that Caribbean Divers didn't go out everyday because of too few divers.

GBS is run by Fred and Melinda Riger who generally both go down on dives. The boat is manned by a couple of nice, young local boys as the crew. We had anywhere from 4 - 9 divers over the course of 5 days. The boat easily handled all of the divers with plenty of room to move about and be in shade if needed.

The routine is pretty much the same daily. New divers for the day show up at 9:00 to sign a waiver while those who have dived with GBS already show up at 9:15. The boat doesn't leave the dock until around 9:45 which takes divers to a deep dive site that has been vacated by the dive ops that all go out earlier. First dive starts about 10:30. Divers take fins to and sit on the back of the boat. With fins on, facing the back, your BC is brought to you by the crew. Once they help you put it on, you giant stride into the water. With safety lines, divers make their way to the front of the boat and go down by the mooring line. Dives are not guided - Fred and Melinda go down and take pictures - you are free to follow them or you can dive the area. Dive times are dictated by air, deco, or 1 hour. They prefer you do a 1 minute stop at 25' and a 4 minute stop at 15'. Back on the boat, the crew takes your bc and fins. Surface intervals are 45-60 minutes. The crew switches tanks over, although you can if you want. The second dive is a shallower site, again usually open as the other ops have vacated them after their second dive. Made it back to the pier each day between 2 - 2:15 pm.

Guessing the water temp around 75º F (everyone had different readings - mine read 79º every dive) with great visibility (up to 100') and no currents. Water was calm each day. There were days GBS and the other ops didn't go out due to storms during the night and rough waters. There are, as we were told, only 13 moorings that each dive op uses. Reef sharks and nurse sharks are likely to be seen on dives. Saw some of the largest lion fish I've seen, spotted eels, stingrays, loggerhead turtles, file clam, conch, and some huge grouper. Saw eagle rays, jellyfish, stingrays, and sharks from the dock around the resort.

The island is not in great shape. Many of the businesses were damaged from past hurricanes/storms and have not been repaired/reopened. An example is the International Bazaar which has a few shops and a few small restaurants open of the 100 I read used to be there, but the majority are boarded up with debris lying around and damaged roofs. The biggest land excursion draws are the Lucayan Marketplace (straw market and restaurants), Garden of the Groves botanical garden, and Lucaya National Park which has 2 small caves and Gold Rock Beach. There are also day and night sails, beach clubs, and other types of tours that seem to include the botanical garden and/or National Park. The beaches aren't too bad, with some being better than others. Gold Rock Beach in the National Park is a must see at $5.

Non-divers looking for something to do might get bored if staying more than 1 week, but divers can keep pretty busy.

Spent 2 weeks at the Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort where the dive op Grand Bahama Scuba was conveniently located for us.

Was this a land vacation with diving, or a dedicated dive trip? I ask because from a dive tourist perspective, the question with most destinations is 'Why there instead of all the other places you could've gone? What made you pick that destination?'

I've never dove the Bahamas; stopped twice on cruise ship stops at Nassau. As I recall Grand Bahama is the area where Tiger Beach is, and T.B. is known for tiger & lemon sharks. In the region that you dives were diving, wonder if either of those are likely to be seen?

Saw some of the largest lion fish I've seen, spotted eels, stingrays, loggerhead turtles, file clam, conch, and some huge grouper. Saw eagle rays, jellyfish, stingrays, and sharks from the dock around the resort.

Wonder if the guides spear lionfish? I just got back from a Turks & Caicos trip, and while lionfish weren't huge, they were pretty common at some sites. I asked a staff whether they speared them, and he indicated with the sharks it's too dangerous. T&C, like the Bahamas, is famous for frequent reef shark encounters. Just wonder how the dive ops there consider the issue.

Richard.

Thanks for the review. It seems silly, I've dived all over the Caribbean, but not the Bahamas. I'm looking hard at going out with the Juliet next summer on one of their Miami/Bahamas' runs. We dived St. Croix with them in January, and I think we are converts. :)

Was this a land vacation with diving, or a dedicated dive trip? I ask because from a dive tourist perspective, the question with most destinations is 'Why there instead of all the other places you could've gone? What made you pick that destination?'

Richard, (I think you know) I am a vacation diver, so I generally gear my posts from that standpoint. Although I haven't dedicated a trip to diving (it may happen sometime in the future), our trips are usually to a place where we can get 5 to 6 days of diving in. As with @AdivingBel, I've never been to the Bahamas, but have wanted to go. Our timeshare and our friends vacation club usually dictate where we go. Can almost always get 1 of 3 different islands in the Bahamas, so although we have talked about going, I'm not really sure why we haven't been before.

As I recall Grand Bahama is the area where Tiger Beach is, and T.B. is known for tiger & lemon sharks. In the region that you dives were diving, wonder if either of those are likely to be seen?

We stayed in Freeport/Lucaya which is just about in the middle of the island where cruise ships come in. Think the dive ops are all similar to who we went with in that they don't go to Tiger Beach. It is located 20 miles from the West End which itself, is a long boat ride to get to. One online website was charging $375 to view sharks from above and $875 to be in a cage, with no refunds if sharks aren't seen. It's a full day dive trip. UNEXSO does a shark dive where they feed the sharks, but the other dive ops go to the same site, Shark Junction, and have divers kneel in the sand while a DM hovers above pretending to feed the sharks. The sharks are conditioned to the sight and come to the area. To answer your question, it's all reef and nurse sharks. We were told they have seen the occasional bull shark.

Wonder if the guides spear lionfish?

The indication was they don't. Didn't see an awful lot of them, but all were large.

I dove with them as well. I would not choose a different dive op in freeport, GBS is the best. UNEXSO is a cattle boat operation. Fred and Melinda are pretty much the opposite of that.

The island is not in great shape.

Freeport has been going steadily downhill for over a decade. Definitely not a very good non-diving vacation spot.

Back
Top Bottom