Grand Bahama Shore diving????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cakil

Reaction score
Hi,
I am gonig to Grand Bahama island for 5 days next week. We will be diving with caribbean divers and staying at bell channel inn.

I was wondering if there are any places that we could rent a tank and do some shore diving?? I was at grand cayman over thanksgiving and shore diving was very practical and cheap. Anything similar in freeport?

Also any suggestions on grand bahama/caribbean divers would be muck appreciated..
What are some of the things we "must" do above and under water in Freeport?

Looks like we may pass in the airport Cakil!! We arrive the 3rd for a week, staying at Tiano Beach Resort and still trying to decide which shop to dive with.

The question I was aobut to post was what is the water temperature?

Welcome to the board Cakil.
It's been several years since I have been to GBI but I am not aware of any shore dives there, they may exist however. There is some fairly good snorkling off Xanadu beach if you know how to get to it. This info is several years and a couple of hurricanes old but you use to be able to walk to the end of the jetty at Xanadu beach and then swim out to the right from there to get to some pretty good snorkling. There is a sunken sailboat near the end of the jetty that had a good bit of life around it...I know, it's not diving but it's better than being dry :)
Below are a couple of links that you might find interesting. Looks like the water temp is around 70deg.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/flm.html
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=FWYF1

cakil,
welcome to the boards!!
I dive in Grand Bahama each year. I've asked about shore diving. What I was told is that you really need a boat to get to anything worth seeing!! The reefs are out quite a ways.
Larry,
I would recomend Grand Bahama Scuba, do a search.......you'll find my trip reports.
Both of you,
Have a great trip, and we want to hear all about it when you get back!!

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Looks like no shore diving in the grand bahama:(
BTW, is it safe to snorkel there knowing there are a lot of sharks around ?
(I am not afraid to dive with them,- looking forward to it-but I heard snorkeling, surfung or any floating activity might be dangerous, since they attack from below)

cakil:)

cakil:
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Looks like no shore diving in the grand bahama:(
BTW, is it safe to snorkel there knowing there are a lot of sharks around ?
(I am not afraid to dive with them,- looking forward to it-but I heard snorkeling, surfung or any floating activity might be dangerous, since they attack from below)

cakil:)

I don't have time to snorkel, I'm to busy diving!! :wink:

The only "Attack" I ever heard about there, was a swimmer in Shallow, Murky, water. Stay in the clear water and you'll be fine.
I Love diving with the sharks there. :)

Hey,
Post a trip report when you get back as I am Curious if Mr.Paulson owner of the Bell Channel Inn is still around,
You will like the dive boat and just had a dive shop owner head down and no complaints they really tried to work with him.
Shore dives not really all you will see is sand-on the West End years back they had a underwater course laid out identifying corals and other marine life and I guess that has went by the side.plus its a 1/4 of a day ride and well not worth it,
East end has a small blue hole or Boiling hole as locals call it near shore and again its a major ride to the East End I did it at a out flow and was visited by several reef sharks munching visitors to its abundant sea life more of a snorkel trip.

Have fun-stay in a group if out at night get back early or take a cab -The hotel dose shuttles too ask? not to worry you but,,its just you have to go past several run down local apts places to get to Lucyan and times on the Island are 10 times worse than here in the USA-
the hotel has a nice small bar upstairs and food is good at a fair price,hotel is older but nice and clean-about a block to PortLucaya with the shops/stores/junk to waist your money on,duty free booze MMMMM= RUM =! and a few good places to eat at and yes American fast food!
Have a great time
Oh by the way your really in Lucya as Freeport is the major city on the Island and with the Royal Oasis closed nothing to see or do in Freeport-kind of run down.
Brad

Back
Top Bottom