Grand Bahama Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Grand Bahama Island is just beautiful, lots of palms of various varieties, flowering plants everywhere and the people were very friendly, we had a great time.
We dove with Sunn Odyssey Divers owned by Karen and Nick Rolle, great people! The crew consisted of thier son, Patrick the dive master Davido and on one day their daughter Erica went out with us also. The crew were all great, my wife is only a 4th year diver and dives only on vacation, they were very helpful and contentive with her.
I was kind of "no frills" diving, they had us set up our own gear, which i think was really a test of knowlege, and we needed to bring our own water and snacks if we wantned a bite between dives. I usually bring a breakfast bar anyway because if I don't keep something on my stomach I have a tendancy to get sea sick, it even happend when I was in the Navy. They did have a cooler on board with cold water but we brought our own bottled water anyway.
The boat was nice and clean and could have held 8 divers and crew easily although my wife and I were the only divers on board all week.
The first dive was an afternoon dive on Saturday, the weather was windy because of a the front that moved into the east coast late last week so the dive as a little surgy and a pretty good current. we dove the companies previous dive boat now a developing reef called "Questus wreck", and scrapped the second dive because of condtions.
Monday things were a lot better, we made 2 dives at 65', sandy bottom with large coral heads grouped together. the coral heads have nice groupings of hard and soft corals as well as several varieties of sponges. we saw several large angels including the biggest stripped angels i've ever seen. lots of shrimp of different kinds, garden eels! cool!, a pretty good sized yellow stingray and the coolest of all both dives we had 2 18" remorays with us that swam directly under me as if i were a shark!! i guess they knew my nickname.
we only dove 3 days and the last was the best, we made a shallow dive on a reef called "fish farm" only at 15-20' but it was just teeming with fish of all sorts, schools of snapper, groupers, angels, goats all the reef fish you like to see.
the last dive was at "split city" just adjacent to "shark alley", the reason I dive. we saw 2 5'+ reef sharks very healthy, a good sign for a reef, 2 stingrays, 2 barracuda and best of all...a bottle nosed dolphin!
the water temps were 71-74 degrees and the visability was 70-100' on all dives, as the year goes on the water temps will get to 80 or better.
the food was good although could be expensive, you must eat in Lucaya at a place called "PIECES" and go to the harbor area to a place called "PIER ONE" where they have shark feedings at 7, 8 & 9p.m. the food is very good there also. it is a good idea to make reservations at both places.
all in all it was a great trip and am looking forward to going back a diving with my new pals at Sunn Odyssey.
A quick note, they are in the process of building a new dive shop and facilities which will have villas to stay in so you can get that extra 1/2 hr sleep.

Y'all have a blessed day, thanks for letting me ramble on,
sharky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom