Grand Bahama - Viva Fortuna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking for a 4 day inclusive resort somewhere in the bahamas and found viva fortuna. My coworker went there last year but when I tried to book it, I had trouble with available dates/airfare, so I wound up booking a trip to Montego Bay Jamaica instead. Back to the part that's pertinent to you. I talked to him in depth about this place and he liked it, but told me to keep some things in mind. If cafeteria style food doesn't bother you too much, and you don't care if there isn't a 24-hour service available, it will be fine. He said he'd go again. They have really good rates, but don't expect a five-star hotel. His room was clean and the people were courteous. It's a great place for a cheap getaway for a few days. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, he isn't a diver. :( The way I figure it, any of those places have to be better diving than at home (warmer, clearer, different fish). The travel agent I spoke to on the phone was a diver, and I had asked him about diving at both places, and he mentioned that he dived (dove?) at both places. He mentioned there wasn't adive center right at viva, but that there were dive centers on the island.

Hi traveltina,

I've seen Viva Fortuna, and heard about it from others, but have not stayed there. My impression is that it's quite basic, but fully serviceable. Like anywhere else, you usually get what you pay for.

Neal Watson's, on-site at the Xanadu, was doing Viva Fortuna's packages last I knew. Watson's does a fine job, and should you go with them my guess is you'll be satisfied.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Just as you have read, Not 5-star But we were pleased! the Fortuna has an Italian flair. owned by Italians, expect to hear Italian spoken. The food was fine but got boring towards the end of the trip with some dishes repeated on different days. We will not go all-inclusive anymore because we usually are of diving and not eating or drinking so really not cost effective for us anymore. The beach is nice but water is shallow, so, no beach diving! we did find some very, very, very, isolated coral heads but we also watched alot of guests "harvesting" corals so I hope you may get to see them, Hard for us to watch but I kept Quiet! Also ask for a second floor room cause we felt it was helpful for us to hang our wet suits and BCDs outside on the balcony to dry without fearing they might walk away! as for the dive shop....Diver beware.....Very, very, very, small and from what I saw seldom open. Older rental equipment on the walls and a dive boat tied up to the beach. No dock due to the shallow water! I did see a group of 4 one evening with dive lights running toward the boat for a night dive. Other than that I saw no one, not one group walking toward the boat with gear. They might do just fine but slim pickings from what I saw! Last thing never, never, rent the mopeds. many people had to walk back from town. Must have done well driving off from the resort but the mopeds stopped working on the way back might have been some type of scam getting people back because the taxi people charged the guests an arm and a leg to get back to the resort! Just something to think about. oh yeah one more thing....topless beach and speedos for everyone, and I mean everyone. even those who should never, never, never be found in a speedo....try UNEXSO for the diving. please feel free to email me with more questions at EKOHLHORST@YAHOO.COM..........HAVE FUN Eric

We have been looking everywhere to find some info on the Viva dive shop with no luck - so thank you!

The Viva shop doesn't sound like the type of place we want to dive with! I think we are going to dive with Caribbean Divers because they are very close to Viva, then do the shark dive with Unexso so we can get a video.

Only 4 weeks left now!

I have done the shark dive, and the dolphin dive with Unexso.
Be sure to bring or rent a 3 or 5 mil wet suit for these dives.
Since you're not moving around ..just sitting and watching for the shark dive, you get cold fast.
Both dives were spectacular, by the way!
Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom