Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Caymen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dominican Republic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello. My wife and I are traveling to Grand Bahamas at the end of April '02'. We are staying at Viva Fortuna. Does anyone know anything abou this hotel? Also, we are looking for a recommendation on a dive operator?

My wife is looking for BIG fish!

Thank you in advance for your experience and stories.

Will

I didn't see your post last night or I would have responded.
I'm not familiar with Viva Fortuna. I sent you info on Grand Bahama Scuba in a response to your PM.
If there is anything else I can answer feel free to ask.

My personal experiense has been with Xanadu. They offer 2 tank morning dives and 1 tank mid morning and afternoon dives. You can also save 10% if you reserve online at Xanadudive.com.

As far as your wife wanting large animals, Xanadu offers shark dives 3 times a week and these are awesome. The divemaster hypnotizes the sharks by rubbing their snouts. You will also encounter reef sharks at many of the other dive sites close to the feeding area.

Thank you. We found out their is a PADI shop at Viva Fortuna, the hotel we ar staying. They do not however offer videography for the Shark Dives so maybe we'll use Xanadu for those. That is one experience I want to relive over and over again. Thank you for the advice.

How was the bahamas diving?

Will & Tina

When we went there last July, the conditions were great with nice visibility and lots of stuff to see. (Reef sharks at several sites) While we didn't see any on the dives, we saw a pod of spotted dolphins around the boat just in front of Xanadu The wreck of the Theo is a don't miss deep dive. Have fun, GB is a fun island and is a little more laid back than Nassau.

It was definately a rush. I had done shark dives at Stuart Cove's in Nassau and they were awesome, the Sharks would come in so close during the feeding that they would bump your regulator hose. (just don't raise your hands) The shark dives in GB were equally thrilling, although Xanadu goes an extra step and "hypotizes" the sharks by grabbing them and rubbing their snouts (the SW wears a full chain mail suit) One of the most trilling dives was a DPV dive in Nassau through one of S Cove's alternate feeding sites. With the scooter, I felt pretty cocky buzzing through 20 or so 6' to 8' reef sharks.

Blawler: Thanks for building my enthusiam. Did you rent the scooter? If so, how much does it cost and is it worth it? I could always cancel my dolphin dive for a scooter ride!

Stuart Cove's in Nassau (New Providence Island) offers the Scooters. They run a 2 tank "wall flying" dive 3 times a week. It's about $40 more than the standard two tank. I do not know if any of the operators on GB offer the DPVs. If you are doing a dolphin dive, then you must be diving with UNEXCO. They are probably the biggest operator on GB and would have scooters if anyone does.

Blawler1
When you did the shark dive with Xanadu - did you get a video of it? If so was it any good and do you remember how much they charged?

We did have a shark and dolphin dive booked with Unexso, but are thinking about just doing everything with Xanadu - and forget about the $169 dolphin dive.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom