Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Caymen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dominican Republic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My girlfriend and I went in July 2001 and I went back with a friend in November (that trip was cut short due to hurricane Michelle). The diving was great, the wreck of the Theo is a definite must do. We bought a tape of the shark dive (I think about $50), the video quality is average, but the footage is awesome. That was my girlfriend's first shark dive and we have almost worn out the tape showing friends and family.(I still get a thrill every time we watch it). The shark hypnosis is unbelieveable. The shark wrangler rubs their snouts and puts them in a trance. It knocks the sharks out so much that he can take multiple sharks and stack them like cord wood.
You can even hunt for shark teeth in the sand after the feeding. (I found one last time) Xanadu doen't have the newest facilities or boats, but they offer lots of fun diving for a reasonable price. You can even save 10% if you reserve online at their website www.xanadudive.com .

Have fun!

Bill Lawler

Thank you Bill! :confined:

I'm getting really excited and can't wait to get out of the cold weather here in Nebraska. I'm sure it will be a lot intimidating jumping into an area where I know their are sharks. I'm sure my wife will love it.

On their website I noticed they have three boats. Which one is the best and can you ask to be on a specific one? I know that sounds stupid when we are going for the diving but for some reason I like a big boat.

Is the water clear? over 80' vis'

Thanks again for your input!

:blbounce:

Hi Will,

I am assuming this is your first trip to GB, it's a nice place. I have dove with Xanadu and UNEXSO, both are good operations. I have a non-diving suggestion for you....well actually your wife. Let the first girl that ask to braid her hair put 1 in each side (assuming she does not really want some)and leave them in the entire time. Otherwise they will bug the dickens out of her, once she has been "hit" they usually leave you alone. By the way, Zorba's is good Greek rest in the Port Lucaya shopping area, I try to eat there every trip.

Xanadu's boats are all fairly large, accommodating 12 divers or more (no six packs). When I was there they were generally operating only 2 of them, one for the early two tank and one for the 10:30AM shallow reef one tank assigning them based upon the number of divers expected. As far as the visibility, it can vary due to weather conditions (the 9' swells from hurricane Michelle churned the water up pretty good) but generally the vis is very good at 80' + with days of 100'+.

Originally posted by blawler1
My girlfriend and I went in July 2001 and I went back with a friend in November (that trip was cut short due to hurricane Michelle).

Bill Lawler

You missed some great diving. The weather sucked for two or three days before Michelle. But the week and a half afterwards was great for diving! My wife and I were there. we extended our stay for a week to make up for the few days we couldn't dive.

Thank you for the info. on Grand Bahama. I think we are going to do the Shark Dives with Unexso and try Viva Fortuna. If we don't like Viva Fortuna we'll try Grand Bahama or Carribean Diver's because their close to Viva Fortuna.

Xanadu is only a 20 minute car ride though and if they have a better operation then I suppose it is worth it!

Have any of you stayed at Viva Fortuna? I know Our Lacaya is much nicer however this is one of those budget dive trips.

:snorkel:

Tavi

You're a braver man than me if you stuck around for Michelle. Although it ended up turning towards New Providence, once the weather reports put it heading for the Bahamas, I was ready to get my happy butt out quick. Just my luck, I booked for November to miss hurricane season. As the saying goes, timing is everything.

At first we were pretty concerned (read: Scared):( But the people we know on the Island didn't think it was a big deal. At the resort they were ready to put up the storm shutters,preperations were made to bus us to a church inland if a storm surge was expected. Luckily neither was neccesary. One freind on the Island set up business there because of hurricanes missing Grand Bahama. He's been through 12 since!(murphy and mother nature work together sometimes I guess). The day Michelle passed it reminded me of some fall days here in Rochester only warmer. Windy gray, and rainy.

We also booked November because of it being the end (?) of hurricane season.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom