Grand Cayman airport update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like the best plan is still to try to avoid Saturday flights which for GC with many flight options 7 days a week can be done relatively easily.

I got dropped off fairly early after the Aggressor on December 1st, it was not bad at all, but got crowded later

It sounds like the best plan is still to try to avoid Saturday flights which for GC with many flight options 7 days a week can be done relatively easily.

That may be ideal but it is not easy if your work schedule and/or the available accommodations at your preferred lodgings don't coordinate with plans to travel mid-week!

That may be ideal but it is not easy if your work schedule and/or the available accommodations at your preferred lodgings don't coordinate with plans to travel mid-week!
Yup, I understand but fortunately it has not been an issue for us on our past trips. Have not yet encounter an issue with accommodations, having done Mon-Mon, Fri-Fri, Mon-Thur and various other combos that don't require a sat. travel.

Yup, I understand but fortunately it has not been an issue for us on our past trips. Have not yet encounter an issue with accommodations, having done Mon-Mon, Fri-Fri, Mon-Thur and various other combos that don't require a sat. travel.
We're doing Sun to Monday in Feb for exactly that reason (both at JFK and GCM) - I always try my best to avoid Saturday air travel whenever possible!

I just came back from the Caymans yesterday, No doubt the airport is well done.

Unfortunately, I was hassled quite a bit by security. I was tagged as secondary screen. I arrived 3 hours prior to flight and knew immediately that I was too early. I was tagged for a sec. sec. screen. The lady at security took all my gear out from my carry ons. All my scuba stuff (regs, computers, LM light, so so forth). I felt like a criminal on those TV shows that seem to be hiding something. Every inch of my gear was touched, felt, probed and then put in a box. Then after 20 minutes, the lady told me she's done. I had to put all of it in the bag. A bottle of BenGay was thrown out.:wink: While she was not rude, I could tell she was frustrated as I had packed so well, there were quite a few things in the bag and it frustrated her.

I don't think she like my DIR gear. Too bad.

Next while I was waiting for my flight, I was summoned to a different room for yet another screen of my luggage. This time, the lady was very nice and just looked at the wife's bra's and underwear and asked if I had packed this bag. I said no because I'm a male and don't wear some of the stuff in the bag. We both laughed and then I was told to return to my family.

My wife and daughter woved never to travel with me again on the same flight.:(:(:(

P.S. last time I was there, I made the mistake of have a scuba wrench in my carryon. It became a big deal when they told me to go check it in with the airline (30-45 line again) but I told them to throw it away. It was not in the algorithm so it became an issue until a supervisor came and asked me what it is. I told him it for changing regulator hoses. He laughed and said have a nice trip as he gave it back to me.

P.S2. I realize security is important and we live in a different world today than a few decades past. Remaining calm is key and avoiding all confrontation is a good habit to be in.

The SSS designation on your boarding pass is random and is part of meeting TSA requirements.

Painful and unpleasant for sure.
Correctly stated. Interesting enough, I am part of Global Entry Trusted Traveller Program.

Correctly stated. Interesting enough, I am part of Global Entry Trusted Traveller Program.

Me too! But that only applies to US Customs & Immigration and Security. It is my understanding that Global Entry is not recognized by foreign nations.

I once got the dreaded SSSS designation at the Provo airport in the Turks and Caicos and it was very unpleasant. If people are just doing their job I can understand that - but they were really nasty and rude. My husband got the SSSS in Grand Cayman one time, and it wasn't fun, but at least everybody was polite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom