Grand Cayman in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a short dive trip from Houston, March 5-10 and am strongly considering Grand Cayman.

Is this a good time to visit Grand Cayman? Will the water be (relatively) calm, clear, and warm?

Are vegan meals readily available? I feel like every time I ask about vegan meals at a location people just suggest I stop being vegan for the week, but that's not an option for reasons I won't go into, so if they're not I'll need to stay some place with a kitchen where I can prepare my own meals.

Where do you recommend staying? I'd prefer a place with a kitchen (see above), but other than that, I'd like to be close enough to the dive shop or pickup point that I can just roll out of bed and go diving. It doesn't need to be fancy, just clean with enough room to dry our equipment. I'd like to keep this cost as low as possible since we tend to just sleep at our hotel and aren't the type of people to lay around the pool and order fancy drinks.

Any dive shop recommendations? I'd like to have short boat rides to the dive sites, being as I get sea sick on longer boat rides, and such a short trip isn't really enough time to acclimate and enjoy myself. I also prefer small boats and would like to avoid any place that attracts a rowdy crowd. My husband and I do shore dive by ourselves from time to time, but I'd like to do at least a couple dives with a shop since I haven't dove since last October and will probably require some buoyancy adjustments.

Do I need a car?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, some answers.

March is a good time to visit. The worst of the winter winds are getting behind us, but we're not yet in the summer heat.

Vegan - VIVO restaurant. It is located at the same location as the Divetech dive shop. (full disclosure: I work at Divetech)

Staying - there are condos right onsite at Divetech/VIVO Our boats depart from there and we have a shore dive location. These are 2-bedroom units so might not be the best budget solution for double occupancy, but happy to give you a quote.

Dive shop - I'll try to keep it neutral here seeing my affiliation with a dive shop. There are no really bad shops on the island so my recommendation is to contact a few and see who you get the best feel with. Most shops on the west side will use the west bay dock, from there most west dive sites (which generally have the calmest water) can be reached in 5 - 10 minutes.
Grand Cayman is not really a budget destination, and as such tends to attract less of a 'rowdy crowd'.

Car depends. If you want to go out a few nights it quickly makes sense as taxi's tend to be expensive, and public transport is limited. If you stay in a resort/condo most shops do complimentary transfers.

Grand Cayman is a sophisticated culinary destination, so you shouldn't have problems finding vegan options. The grocery stores carry a wide range of products. Search the Cayman Good Taste at the link below and see what they suggest:
Grand Cayman Restaurants Guide for Cayman Islands Restaurants

Eating out 3 times a day is very pricey. You might want to stay someplace where you can prepare some meals and the grocery stores do carry a wide range of products - but a car is helpful. Or look at places that include food packages.

Weather and water should be lovely in March, but that is a peak travel season due to Spring Break and some places may be booked up already, and some places may require a 7-night stay during peak season.

Will you be traveling alone? I ask because some of the packages add on an extra fee for single occupancy.

They don't have any big all-inclusive resorts on GC but there are several places where you can "eat, sleep, and dive" and some of these include meal plans or have onsite restaurants but you would have to contact them and ask about vegan meals. Many of these places are in more remote locations so a car is needed.

Lighthouse Point is a condo that has the DiveTech shop onsite, including shore diving on the house reef. Their Vivo restaurant is primarily vegan and vegetarian. DiveTech also has a shop at the Grand Caymanian Holiday Inn and will transport you by van to Lighthouse Point - but you'd probably need a car if you stay at either LP or the the Grand Caymanian because they are off the beaten path, but not too far from the more popular tourist areas.

Also take a look at Cobalt Coast and Compass Point (at opposite ends of the island) but again you will need a car and will have to check regarding vegan meals.

Check out Sunset House, it is within walking distance of George Town's restaurants and has an onsite dive shop and shore diving and breakfast is included - don't know about vegan options.

Other places with kitchens (or mini-kitchens) that are located in the central Seven Mile Beach area so you might not need a car, and that have relationships with dive shops that will pick you up, include Sunshine Suites and Comfort Suites.

Good luck!

I'll give a unaffilated +1 on DiveTech. I've stayed at Lighthouse and you really couldn't get more convenient diving. DiveTech is a very good outfit. The shore diving is also very good there, weather permitting.

The fact that you are looking for Vegan fare and Vivo is right there is a big plus. I'm far from vegan, but I can vouch for the restaurant. It's solid.

The boat rights will be what they are basically anywhere you stay and none of them are very long. You can also arrange pickup from anywhere. That's not a problem. So, Lighthouse/DiveTech would be a great choice, but if the accommodations are not in the budget range you're looking for, there are lots of options.

Yes, get a car. Small ones are cheap and you'll be glad to have it. There's not a lot around Lighthouse Point/DiveTech that is walkable.

Wow, VIVO's menu is basically what would happen if I had any cooking talent and could open my own restaurant. It hits the nail on the head, and I feel like I'm super picky about what I will/won't eat. I love that it's vegan except for lionfish!

I'll get a quote from lighthouse, but if I'm coming by myself then it's probably going to be far too expensive. Not sure if my DH is going to come along yet or not. Are there places near enough to VIVO/divetech that I could dive and eat there and stay someplace else?

Wow, VIVO's menu is basically what would happen if I had any cooking talent and could open my own restaurant. It hits the nail on the head, and I feel like I'm super picky about what I will/won't eat. I love that it's vegan except for lionfish!

I'll get a quote from lighthouse, but if I'm coming by myself then it's probably going to be far too expensive. Not sure if my DH is going to come along yet or not. Are there places near enough to VIVO/divetech that I could dive and eat there and stay someplace else?

Take a look at the Grand Caymanian Holiday Inn. The same dive shop that is located at Lighthouse Point (DiveTech) is onsite at the Grand Caymanian and their prices and accomdations may be better suited for a single traveler on a short trip - and I believe that they have some suites (or mini-suites?) there with kitchens but I am not sure. DiveTech will transport you from the Grand Caymanian over to Lighthouse Point to board the boat, and after your dives you can have a meal at Vivo. You can also shore dive at LP - but you will need a buddy to shore dive.

Yes, the shore diving at LP looks really nice, which is why I would still consider it if hubby comes along even if it's a little expensive. Looks like they have a nice, easy entry?

Yes, the shore diving at LP looks really nice, which is why I would still consider it if hubby comes along even if it's a little expensive. Looks like they have a nice, easy entry?

@FindingMenno is the best person to give advice about DiveTech's diving and shore dive, but we have shore dived at Lighthouse Point and I thought that the entry was easy, they have a ladder and a sea pool, and the mini-wall is quite close to shore. The diving was good, too.

Like I said, you don't have to stay at Lighthouse Point to shore dive the site but of course that would be very convenient, especially with the Vivo restaurant right there. I believe that the shore diving at LP is free when you are boat diving with DiveTech.

They will also rent tanks and weights (and gear) to certified divers that stop by to shore dive.

If it is within your budget and if they have availability, staying at Lighthouse Point, diving and shore diving with DiveTech, renting a car, and enjoying the onsite Vivo restaurant would be ideal, but if that doesn't work out, there are probably other options.

I spent a week on Cayman with a Vegan. She loved Vivo, Bread and Chocolate, the vegetarian menu at Agua, but said that everywhere she went they had something INTERESTING she could eat, as opposed to what felt like a "token veggie dish".

What blew her away, though, was the selection in the supermarkets. She said that there was vegan stuff there that she couldn't get at home and was very eager to try. Her conclusion was that Grand Cayman was a paradise for vegans.

I have gone off the dock and off the sea pool at that location - the sea pool is a lot easier, for sure. It's not a bad shore dive, as you have the guardian of the reef statue right by the mini wall. They also rent underwater scooters which were a lot of fun, too.

You have several shore diving options off the west shore of the island and they are all worth exploring, imo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom