Grand Cayman over New Years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would still dive with reef divers out of Cobalt Coast if the price differential is not too great. They are a first class dive op and are on site. If they are not diving from Cobalt, they will van you over to where they are leaving from and also look after your gear.

Flyboy08, who brags about drinking and driving? You should be embarrassed.

I would still dive with reef divers out of Cobalt Coast if the price differential is not too great. They are a first class dive op and are on site. If they are not diving from Cobalt, they will van you over to where they are leaving from and also look after your gear.

Flyboy08, who brags about drinking and driving? You should be embarrassed.
Lol...get a life:)...it was a public service announcement.

I am staying at Cobalt Coast because I have a "timeshare" type of a thing and that is where there happened to be availability on the dates I could go

Same for me about how I stay on GC, although we did pay for a week at Ocean Frontiers once, because of availability of dates. It sounds as if you've done your research. Diving with Reef Divers at CC would not be my first choice of a dive op (not because anything is wrong with them), but it sure is convenient. I agree with what has been said by @KathyV and others about the diving. On the other hand, saving $25 a day on a 2 tank dive is an important consideration, especially since you have a car. Having been in GC during the time of year you're going and even driving into Georgetown when cruise ships were in, I'm one who never thinks the traffic is bad...it's all about being patient.

Although you're not doing the all-inclusive, you can still purchase meals at CC. It's as expensive as a good restaurant elsewhere on the island, but is pretty good. If you've read reviews about CC, you know there is not anything to do there, other than dive. Hell is about a 15 minute walk, or 5 minute drive. The Cayman Turtle Center is about a 10 minute drive from CC, as well as Macabuca which has been mentioned by others already. There is a dive op there (can't remember the name) where you can shore dive or even get a night dive in. The Turtle Center has a section - cost a bit more - where you can snorkel, swim, and/or layout in the sun. It has been one of my favorite places to snorkel with a guarantee of swimming with turtles and reef fish. If your sister snorkels, she might like this. Other things to do: jetski tour with with a stop at Stingray City, and Rum Point, Starfish Beach, Botanical Garden, and Cave tour on the East End.

I have attached a link to a thread I started that may give you some extra info as you read through it.

Grand Cayman: Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers) and Compass Point (Ocean Frontiers)

Any idea of things maybe going on for New Years Eve?

We arrived on New Year's Eve a couple of years ago and went to Camana Bay for their big bash. Music, restaurants, and fireworks. I actually booked a restaurant several weeks in advance of our arrival. We had a good time hanging out there.

I would dive with Reef Divers given the choice. Marshall’s will be fine. Small family run. Some companies are not so big on emails but are on service.

I am going to Grand Cayman the end of Dec. and will be there over New Years- Staying at Cobalt Coast but not doing the all-inclusive deal or diving there.
I looked into a few dive ops that I found on the internet and decided on a place called "Living the Dream" I just LOVED the name and they were very good at responding to my inquiries.
Has anyone heard of or used them? If so, how were they to dive with?

Also, my sister who does not dive will be with me and we will want to check out the Island. Any suggestions on things we may want to see and do after my dives?
We are not looking for quiet and relaxing....rather want fun, entertaining, get up and do type of stuff.
Any suggestions on restaurants?
We WILL be renting a car so will have no problem getting around.

Any idea of things maybe going on for New Years Eve?
I've dived with LTD twice, about 20 days in total. I like them since the have the nicest, cleanest and most uncluttered boats that I have seen, the crew is very good and the price is the cheapest I've seen. They provide a gas analyzer and complimentary wet suits, computer, and mask and fins if you need them. I can do without the valet service but the gear storage is convenient. Had a great time diving with them. I've used two others OP's and for me I see no reason to use anyone else. Plus they have a Labrador retriever.

And if you want to find out what's on, ask the dive master where he or she is hanging out that evening.

Most likely at home eating Ramen noodles and drinking tap water as we can't afford to go out every night on dive pro's paychecks and Grand Cayman pricing! :wink:

I've dived with LTD twice, about 20 days in total. I like them since the have the nicest, cleanest and most uncluttered boats that I have seen, the crew is very good and the price is the cheapest I've seen. They provide a gas analyzer and complimentary wet suits, computer, and mask and fins if you need them. I can do without the valet service but the gear storage is convenient. Had a great time diving with them. I've used two others OP's and for me I see no reason to use anyone else. Plus they have a Labrador retriever.

Well I asked LTD about gear storage and they will only stow my Reg and BCD- all the other stuff- wet suit, fins, booties, mask etc... I'll have to schlep back and forth but, it is what it is I supposed.
To ME, gear storage should be a part of "valet service" meaning ALL your gear.

Hang on to your own gear. If the winds are light there is a great shore dive right off Cobalt Coast and if not, Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Point are not too far. These make for excellent afternoon and night diving options.

Hang on to your own gear. If the winds are light there is a great shore dive right off Cobalt Coast and if not, Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Point are not too far. These make for excellent afternoon and night diving options.

Very true, we love shore diving Grand Cayman - and it is a real bargain. Just to let the OP know, you usually cannot solo dive on GC and you mentioned that your roommate does not dive; but you might meet other divers at LTD that would be interested in joining you for some shore dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom