Grand Cayman, sell it to me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV and DoctorFish - thanks for the info. It's something I will certainly research and hopefully be able to act on. I would very much like to go back and give Cayman and especially Brac a fair chance. The convience of travel you indicate is appealing.

I know the diving has to be worlds better than what I was exposed to (by the way, I'm discontinuing my membership in that particular scuba club). The two boat dives we did were significantly better. Though the Kittywake was a yawn for me (not into wrecks at all), the second of the boat dives was on a reef and was really good. If I cound do boat dives on Brac in the mornings and dive the house reef afternoons that might be just the ticket.

And, when it comes right down to it, I spent $3800 + airfair & tips for 2 weeks at a supposedly world class AI that was completely not worth half that nor any of the effort to get there and back. GC can't be more expensive than that if I'm careful.

KathyV and DoctorFish - thanks for the info. It's something I will certainly research and hopefully be able to act on. I would very much like to go back and give Cayman and especially Brac a fair chance. The convience of travel you indicate is appealing.

I know the diving has to be worlds better than what I was exposed to (by the way, I'm discontinuing my membership in that particular scuba club). The two boat dives we did were significantly better. Though the Kittywake was a yawn for me (not into wrecks at all), the second of the boat dives was on a reef and was really good. If I cound do boat dives on Brac in the mornings and dive the house reef afternoons that might be just the ticket.

And, when it comes right down to it, I spent $3800 + airfair & tips for 2 weeks at a supposedly world class AI that was completely not worth half that nor any of the effort to get there and back. GC can't be more expensive than that if I'm careful.

@Kharon, ordinarily I wouldn't suggest an inclusive resort because the pricing is almost always based on double occupancy with a bump for single supplements. I thought that it would be a very large increase for a single supplement but @scubadada just came back from a solo trip to Cayman Brac Beach Resort and he paid a 20% supplement, see the link below.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/cayman-brac-beach-resort-reef-divers-oct-23-30-2017.553176/#post-8133009

That is a bump but not as bad as I imagined, I was thinking more like 60%, but 20% seems more manageable.

They are running a holiday special right now with free Nitrox through mid January but I don't know when you want to travel? And they are running a new year special through mid April with varying options available. See the link below.

The booking agents at Reef Fanta Seas are usually very willing to work with you and tweak their packages to add or remove items to fit you needs, and to help find a package and price that works for you. If you are interested, don't go through their online price quote system, call them during business hours and figure out what works and what doesn't meet your needs.

They will also book your airfare for a fee, but its not bad, and they really know the ins and outs of getting to and from all 3 Cayman islands - and all the nuances of Cayman Air. I usually ask them book for us, but you are certainly free to book your own air.

I'm thinking that if you could get a 7-day package that includes accommodations, breakfast and lunch, airport transfers, taxes and hotel service charges, and six days of 2-tank morning boat dives for a decent price, then you could spend your afternoons trying out some of the shore dives - and report back to us and tell us what you think of them! They do offer non-diver packages so you could try that, maybe skip the boat dives and just do shore dives? Or just buy a few days of boat dives and mix it up?

I know that the onsite dive op at CBBR Reef Divers will rent tanks for shore diving, but I don't know if they will rent them to certified solo divers - you'd have to check it out but that would be very convenient if it is an option. But it is now known that the other dive op on the island, Scuba Shack will rent tanks to certified solo divers, so that's another option.

You'd need to rent a vehicle to shore dive of course. There's not a lot of rental options and we usually ask the hotel desk to make the arrangements because we only get a car for a day when we are there, but you could shop around, and @vincent54 should be able to advise you. There is a $20 fee (Cayman dollars) for a temp drivers license. Your credit card may cover collison and damage but you might want to add on liability. There's not much traffic on the island, but you will driving on the left.

We enjoy having a drink or two after a day of diving so we usually each bring a bottle of duty free liquor, purchased at our local or connecting airport, because booze can be pricey in Cayman. They do offer a 3 drink per night package option - I have never tried it - I think it is mostly well drinks, but some folks really like it. Rum is usually pretty reasonable in the islands if you buy locally, but be aware that the (few) stores on the island are closed on Sundays.

I hope that you find a nice, good-priced, excellent dive vacation spot wherever you end up!

Cayman Brac Beach Resort | Cayman Brac’s Award Winning Beachfront Dive Resort

Last edited:
@KathyV - Wow!!! Thanks so much for the link to the @scubadada report and your tips. I'm feeling pretty certain that this is my next destination. I was surprised at how inexpensive the AI at CBBR is priced and the 20% isn't much of a suppliment. I really appreciate all the help you have given and if things work out this might very well be my replacement for Bonaire.

I'm sad to say that, while I love the freedom and the reefs on Bonaire, the changes in flight options will prevent me from returning. The trip there is still reasonable but the trip home runs 20 to 40 hours and all over the country. Unless the scedule changes I won't be going back. I'm hoping CB will work out as a replacement. It's certainly well worth a try.

@KathyV - Wow!!! Thanks so much for the link to the @scubadada report and your tips. I'm feeling pretty certain that this is my next destination. I was surprised at how inexpensive the AI at CBBR is priced and the 20% isn't much of a suppliment. I really appreciate all the help you have given and if things work out this might very well be my replacement for Bonaire.

I'm sad to say that, while I love the freedom and the reefs on Bonaire, the changes in flight options will prevent me from returning. The trip there is still reasonable but the trip home runs 20 to 40 hours and all over the country. Unless the scedule changes I won't be going back. I'm hoping CB will work out as a replacement. It's certainly well worth a try.

Glad to hear it and I hope it works out for you! I don't know if they only offer that low single supplement during the low season or if it is available all year round, but I was surprised - I expected it to be higher.

I usually ask to speak with Mary when calling Reef Fanta Seas. She has always been willing to try and figure out the best options for us - but everyone I've talked with at RFS has always been nice and helpful.

We usually take the 3-meal per day package at the Clearly Cayman Resorts and the food is good at both CBBR and LCBR, but I think it is best at CBBR - especially the desserts! I haven't tried the food at CCGCR yet so I can't say.

The last time we were on Brac, for some reason we took a package that only offered Breakfast and Dinner but not lunch - I'm not sure why but it wasn't a bad option. We usually ordered a light lunch at the beach bar, sometimes splitting a hamburger and chips or something. There is so much food available during all the meal times that it wasn't a hardship to eat a light lunch! And we also usually rent a car for 24 hours to tour the island and try out another restaurant - but there aren't many options - it's a really small place!

If you take a 2-tank per day package you can usually add on a 3rd tank for a good price, or add lunch on to a 2 meal package. I suggest doing all your negotiating with RFS before you get to the resort. It is more expensive to start adding on options and making changes after you get there.

And take heart, perhaps Bonaire will be in your future again. Southwest is expanding their flights into the Caribbean and so is United - so things may change!

Last edited:
@Kharon @KathyV

I spoke to and arranged my trip with Jenifer at Reef Fanta Seas. Though I many be incorrect, it was my impression that the single supplement might vary by season and occupancy at CBBR. It was not empty, but it was certainly not full during my visit at the end of October. As a bonus, I got to see Tropical Storm Philippe and missed one day of diving. I paid 20% more than the pp/double occupancy rate for the Cayman Classic, 7 nights, 3 meals per day, 17 boat dives...

The shore diving I mentioned in another thread, especially in how it applies to solo diving, applies only to Scuba Shack, not Reef Divers. Reef Divers also supplies tanks for shore diving, but I did not inquire about solo diving.

I think solo diving is generally not viewed favorably by the Cayman Watersports Association. The approach I would take is don't ask, don't tell.

@Kharon @KathyV

I spoke to and arranged my trip with Jenifer at Reef Fanta Seas. Though I many be incorrect, it was my impression that the single supplement might vary by season and occupancy at CBBR. It was not empty, but it was certainly not full during my visit at the end of October. As a bonus, I got to see Tropical Storm Philippe and missed one day of diving. I paid 20% more than the pp/double occupancy rate for the Cayman Classic, 7 nights, 3 meals per day, 17 boat dives...

The shore diving I mentioned in another thread, especially in how it applies to solo diving, applies only to Scuba Shack, not Reef Divers. Reef Divers also supplies tanks for shore diving, but I did not inquire about solo diving.

I think solo diving is generally not viewed favorably by the Cayman Watersports Association. The approach I would take is don't ask, don't tell.

@Kharon here is the link for the post by @scubadada about solo diving with Scuba Shack. I haven't seen anything about whether or not Reef Divers will rent tanks to certified solo divers, but I seem to remember reading that the shore diving tanks were cheaper from Reef Divers - but I don't think there was a big difference in price.

Shore diving on Cayman Brac?

Last edited:
Here is the complete thread about shore diving on Brac and the shore diving guide is shown below:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/shore-diving-on-cayman-brac.553128/

Here is info about car rental on the sister islands, and links and videos for both Brac and Little:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8144858/

brac shore diving.jpg

Last edited:
I think solo diving is generally not viewed favorably by the Cayman Watersports Association.

I'd like to know just how important affiliation with the CWA is for dive op.s. Just what is this thing (e.g.: government agency, private confederacy of businesses, etc...), and just how important is it for a dive op. to be a member of it? What happens if a new dive shop/dive boat op. opens on Grand Cayman, the CWA sends them a membership application and the op. replies 'Nah, we don't wanna'?

Richard.

I'd like to know just how important affiliation with the CWA is for dive op.s. Just what is this thing (e.g.: government agency, private confederacy of businesses, etc...), and just how important is it for a dive op. to be a member of it? What happens if a new dive shop/dive boat op. opens on Grand Cayman, the CWA sends them a membership application and the op. replies 'Nah, we don't wanna'? Richard.

This is just a guess, but adherence to the guidelines may impact the ability of a dive op to get insurance on the island.

At least they are starting to talk about solo diving on Grand Cayman:
PADI president tackles controversial issue of solo diving

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom