Grand Cayman shore diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting video - thanks for posting it diversteve - at the start, though, I think I see a boat that they are diving off, so I wonder how far out that site is, and how easily it can be reached from shore. I wonder if there is a buoy there.

Last edited:
I've dived Smith's Cove, once. IMO, not worth doing again.
Turtle Reef and Lighthouse are excellent shore dives for the west side and have dive shops on site to rinse gear, shower, change etc.
Babylon is an awesome dive but a long way from shore, unsupported and very much wind and weather dependent. Also a long drive from Georgetown.
If I only had 2 shore dives to do on GC, I would do them at Turtle Reef. North one dive and south the other.
There is a nice bar at Turtle Reef called Macabuca, for when your dive day is over.

Two Turtle Reef dives are fine when there is little or no current, which is often not the case on North-West Point. Sometimes there is only one dive that you can do safely (by going into the current when you hit the wall so you're not fighting it when you are trying to get back) - the currents can change fairly quickly - I have encountered that on a couple of occasions.

If two shore dives, then I would do Turtle Reef for one, and Sunset House for the second.

I know the OP asked about diving, but one of the more memorable things we did on GC was snorkel the rum point barrier reef; might be worth trading off a shore dive if you are into snorkeling.

That sounds like the perfect thing to do on the afternoon before we fly. Thanks.

Two Turtle Reef dives are fine when there is little or no current, which is often not the case on North-West Point. Sometimes there is only one dive that you can do safely (by going into the current when you hit the wall so you're not fighting it when you are trying to get back) - the currents can change fairly quickly - I have encountered that on a couple of occasions.

If two shore dives, then I would do Turtle Reef for one, and Sunset House for the second.
Don't forget about Lighthouse Point as well. Right down the road from Macabuca and an excellent shore dive as well - nice mini wall there and they also have lines out to the main wall. The Guardian of the Reef statue is there too!

Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point and Sunset House. All 3 have on site dive ops to get tanks and weights. All 3 are very nice dive sites. All 3 have on site restaurants for Apres Dive food and libations. All 3 have rinse tanks, lockers, etc. All 3 have secure and safe parking.

We do primarily shore diving on Grand Cayman. I do concur with the above posts regarding Macabuca, Sunset House, etc., but if you want to adventure out, I'd be happy to give you information. The Police highly recommended to us to leave nothing of value in our car, roll the windows tight and lock it up. Here's a report I posted a few years back:
My little dive report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom