Grand Cayman to Little Cayman: Weekday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctorfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi, has anyone done the transfer from arr GC, Owen Roberts to depart LC recently on a weekday? I've done this many times on a weekend and it usually takes about 90 minutes.

My original flight to LC was cancelled and we were put on an earlier flight so there is now only a one hour interval from arrival time to departure.

Are we going to make it through customs, immigration, bag pick up, drop off and security in an hour?

Picking up at Owen Roberts.
Westjet to GC.

I've never experienced 90 minutes from landing to out the door. Generally it seems to go pretty quick and, in theory, you should be able to make the connecting flight. However, I recommend that you call Cayman Airways direct and ask. Any delay of your flight into GCM will only make matters worse.

Not 90 minutes "out the door". 90 minutes wheels down to getting on the plane to LC. I called Cayman airways and they were, as usual, of no help.

It is a little tight but you should be able to do it. When you check in at the Cayman Air desk with your luggage, you might ask about the flight. I once got stuck at their version of TSA. They had a new guy who had to fondle every piece of underwater photo equipment I had. My wife went on and they held the flight. Holding the flight is no big deal because it isn't like anyone is making a connection at Little Cayman. But during the week, things should not be quite as crowded.

The only limiting factor on a weekday will be clearing customs before you claim your bags. The rest of it will go very quickly. You should be ok as long as you aren't in the back of the plane on the westjet flight. Even then, it probably won't be an issue as long as the flight is on time.

The downside is the Westjet arrival time into GCM is during a bit of a daily surge. Depending upo how the flight arrivals stack up it is possible that you could be behind a couple planeloads of passengers trying to clear Immigration.

If you find that to be the case you can probably use the residents line at immigration. I don' t recall if the signage specifically says connecting passengers and residents.

The upside to all of this is that usually the weekday flights have space on them. So if you do miss your flight from GC to LC, you can probably hop on the very next one unless you are booked on the last flight of the day.

One other thing to remember is after you get your ticket on Cayman Air to Little Cayman, you don't need to go through the departing customs line. You can just bypass them and walk around that line. If they say anything just tell them you are going to LC and they wave you through.

Back
Top Bottom