"grandfathering" into a tech certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescue15

Contributor
Reaction score
I started diving again in April after not diving for more than 5 years. Prior to my hiatus, I was diving doubles with wreck penetrations and many of our dive plans were with planned decompression, hanging stage bottles and decompression on Nitrox and Oxygen. All of my diving was north of Virginia and sometimes down to 200 feet. I found out the hard way that many dive boats now require technical certifications to do penetrations on wrecks. In April I went to dive the Bibb and was told only pass thrus were allowed - no penetration because I had no c-card other than PADI Wreck diver.

Having learned tech diving in the school of hard nocks, is there any way to get credit for time served and test out to a higher level class instead of wasting time and money on the basics. I am a PADI Rescue diver with Wreck diving by PADI. I also hold ssi nitrox, deep, night and advanced navigation cards. I am also enrolled to start SSi Dive Master this summer.

I have no desire to dive doubles anymore, but still wish to do some less difficult penetrations.

Can someone give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Simple answer to your question is that there is no such thing as a "grandfathering into a tech certification." To get a card for wreck penetration, you will need to take and pass an advanced wreck course. Since this is a TDI forum and you asked about tech certs, let's talk about equipment... you'll need a redundant gas source/first stage to enter an overhead environment on a TDI course... for most, and certainly every student I've certified at that level, the simple solution is manifolded doubles with an isolator and twin outlets. Your various sport certs are an indicator of your sport diving credentials, but do not take the place of technical training and equipment choices... they do however, help you meet the prerequisites for the class.

I suggest doing a search on our website to find an instructor in your area...

http://www.sdi-onlinetraining.com/divers/index_facilities_courses.php?site=3

Last edited:
you'll need a redundant gas source/first stage to enter an overhead environment on a TDI course... for most, and certainly every student I've certified at that level, the simple solution is manifolded doubles with an isolator and twin outlets.

got it all...It just seems to be such a waste of time and money if you learned more than the basics via " on the job training" so to speak. The group of divers I used to dive with was safely penetrating long before tech classes were born. I definitely see the value of training but even the Firefighting profession (one of the most technical and dangerous) sees the value in grediting prior knowledge to serve as prerequisites to more advanced courses.

Steve

Training agencies have standards that have to be followed and these include students meeting prerequisites set out for each course. Your sport diving experience appears to meet the prerequisites for an advanced wreck course. This can be verified from the various certification you say you have. Verification that you are qualified to take the course would be the instructor's first priority on initial dives the two of you would make. Prior experience may make the course easier for you both, but no instructor (at least I hope none of ours) is going to hand over a card because the people with whom you used to dive were penetrating wrecks before there were technical certifications.

got it all...It just seems to be such a waste of time and money if you learned more than the basics via " on the job training" so to speak. The group of divers I used to dive with was safely penetrating long before tech classes were born. I definitely see the value of training but even the Firefighting profession (one of the most technical and dangerous) sees the value in grediting prior knowledge to serve as prerequisites to more advanced courses.

Steve
Tech diving has come a loooong way in 15 years. I think you may be surprised at how much you can learn from a well rounded instructor employing up to date techniques.

I'm not saying I would not learn alot. I am asking if I have to redo the basics to take the more advanced courses such as deco diver, adv. nitrox and advanced wreck. It really seems a waste of time and money to take intro to tech diving when most of my dives have been "tech" dives.

I'm not trying to be a pain and maybe I'm asking this wrong...is there a program you have to follow or can you sign up for whatever class you want? What prerequsites are there for each of the classes? Do I have to take intro before I can take Advanced Wreck? Do I have to take Adv Nitrox before I take Decompression Procedures Diver. These questions are not addressed on the web site.

BTW, I just realized I had a typo in my first post...My specialties and DM cl;ass I am enrolled in are all SDI, not SSI as I originally posted.

Steve

I'm not saying I would not learn alot. I am asking if I have to redo the basics to take the more advanced courses such as deco diver, adv. nitrox and advanced wreck. It really seems a waste of time and money to take intro to tech diving when most of my dives have been "tech" dives.

I'm not trying to be a pain and maybe I'm asking this wrong...is there a program you have to follow or can you sign up for whatever class you want? What prerequsites are there for each of the classes? Do I have to take intro before I can take Advanced Wreck? Do I have to take Adv Nitrox before I take Decompression Procedures Diver. These questions are not addressed on the web site.

BTW, I just realized I had a typo in my first post...My specialties and DM cl;ass I am enrolled in are all SDI, not SSI as I originally posted.

Steve

I just checked the standards their is no requirement for Intro for Adv Nitro only 25 Dives, basic nitrox and be at least 15 years old if done with Deco Procedures 18 years old.

Steve

I think I made it clear in my initial posts... your current sport ratings meet the prerequisites for you to enroll in an Advanced Wreck class.

I just checked the standards their is no requirement for Intro for Adv Nitro only 25 Dives, basic nitrox and be at least 15 years old if done with Deco Procedures 18 years old.

I think those are requirements or really prerequisites :blinking:

My suggestion is to find an instructor that understands you have prior experience which should in theory allow you complete the necessary requirements in an expedited manner. Which if this is the case reduce costs. However, there are still a set number of dives which must be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom