Gray & Yellow Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocketman3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i just got my Perdix AI . My wife’s will get hers next month. As I was reading the setup manual, it says that if you are diving with 2 transmitters have one a gray and one a yellow, so the signals don’t clash. Since we dive together, should we also get the gray and yellow, or will 2 gray ones be fine?

Thanks

2 gray transmitters are fine, since each Perdix will only listen for the transmitter they are designated to. The yellow transmitter may (or may not) be needed as a 2nd transmitter to the same Perdix.

Hi Rocketman3,

If you will be diving close together, I recommend having 1 gray and 1 yellow. As THX723 mentioned, each and every transmitter has a unique code so you would never have a situation where your Perdix would erroneously show your wife's information.

However, the reason for the multiple colors is slightly different than this. The different colors have different transmit periods. For example, a gray might transmit every 5 seconds, but a yellow every 4.9 seconds (these aren't exact numbers). The reason they do this is that it is hard for the receiver to reliably receive two communications at the exact same time. A communication burst only lasts about 0.1 seconds. Normally, even with two gray transmitters the communications happen at different times, and there is no problem. But if two gray transmitters ever randomly end up synchronized, their transmissions will collide and both receivers might drop out. The transmitter clocks are very accurate, so it can take a while for 2 gray transmitters to drift back out of sync (typically a few minutes up to 30 minutes, depending on how closely matched the transmitter clocks are). With the different colors, the transmit periods will never end up synchronized. Collisions can still happen, but they would quickly move out of sync.

I hope this explains the reason for the multiple colors. So it is safest to have 2 different colors if diving closely together. However, you can still usually get away with 2 gray transmitters. If the transmitters are different distances from the receiver, the stronger signal will typically win.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Tyler, I wonder if that was what happened to my transmitters I originally had on my rebreather? I had 2 gray transmitters & all of a sudden, about the same time, they both stopped working or receiving. I trouble shot it with another wrist unit & could not pick up any signal,... but my wrist unit would pick up other transmitters. After all that &several battery changes, I never could pick up any signal from those transmitters. I sent the transmitters back to you guys & never heard any word of what may have been going on & was sent a yellow/ gray pair of transmitters back.... I'm just musing, more than anything....:daydream:

I think this is what happened to us today.
We are down in Cozumel (with the scubaboard invasion party).

I tried to buy the yellow transmitter from my dive shop, but the didn’t have it and told me it wasn’t available.

Anyway, on our dives all of a sudden we would lose connections with our computers. Kinda spooky not knowing exactly how much air you have.

We got the yellow cation warning 30 sec lost, the red warning, over a min lost communications. And finally the warning saying AI LOST COMMUNICATIONS.

But it did come back later.

Other than not being so close to my wife - any other suggestions???

Thanks

Other than not being so close to my wife - any other suggestions???

Thanks

Ok I have to own up to our mistakes.
After we got everything set-up we labeled the Perdix’s.
Somehow we labeled them backwards. My wife was surprised that she was using more air than me.
Well we got it figured out - swapped transmitter. And now they seem to be working just fine.

Forrest Gump was something correct,” Stupid is as Stupid does”.

Ok I have to own up to our mistakes.
After we got everything set-up we labeled the Perdix’s.
Somehow we labeled them backwards. My wife was surprised that she was using more air than me.
Well we got it figured out - swapped transmitter. And now they seem to be working just fine.

Forrest Gump was something correct,” Stupid is as Stupid does”.
A little bit of coloured paint or material attached to each computer and transmitter goes a long way to stopping that issue. Makes it very easy to match blue & blue, red & red etc and it only takes a second to check before splashing

Back
Top Bottom