Greasy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the begining I have always said PARKER SUPER O LUBE, how did this turn out to say USE ANY ol' GREASE!!!!!

If I could only have one o-ring lube in my tool box that lube would the Parker Super O Lube! Use on my Olympus, Aquatica, Ikelite and Oceanic products...WITHOUT ANY LEAKS.

JTemple:
You've figured out Mike's secret to his financial success! He's become a millionaire on just the profit margin from selling 4 tubes for a buck.

Unbelievable!

Pathetic!

Ok. One last post here. :shakehead

No F3, you never said “use any ol’ grease.” but you did allude to it. You did say that the grease that came with all uw photo gear was probably identical, which could be taken that they were interchangeable, ergo, it doesn’t matter which was used on which. Then you claimed that all of these companies were just ripping us off. This is what got me involved in the thread because I knew for a fact that you didn’t know what you were talking about and that you were giving info that could harm someone’s gear. The lube provided is different whether you know it or not.

Your exact quote:

When you ask Olympus and the rest of the gang, on which o-ring lubrication to use, of course they will tell you to use their “grease” only. It’s most likely a repackaged, smaller tube of $6.75 Parker Super O Lube with their names on it!

Then you said that nothing could harm an o-ring except acetone and it’s "not a grease." That pretty much says that no grease will harm an o-ring.

Your exact quote:
I have even seen AXLE grease used o-rings! Each and every one of these o-rings held up to the lowest helium leak checking levels our equipment can sense. The only way we could find a leak is one; there was not enough compression on the o-ring or two; there was a scratch or debris across the sealing surface.

The only way we could chemically cause a leak is when the o-ring was exposed to Acetone, which is a cleaner and not a grease, and made the o-ring swell up!

Now, you are screaming that you never said “use any ‘ol grease” as though if someone did, it would be a bad thing. Which is it? Either it doesn’t matter cuz they are all the same and nothing can hurt ‘em or everyone should only use Parker Super O Lube because you can’t use any ‘ol grease. :huh:

You asked me if I had ever seen a leak caused by using the wrong grease and I told you about just such an incident and you called me a liar.

Ikelite says to use their grease only because some other types will cause the o-ring to swell and cause leaks. You have pretty much called them liars as well. You have also accused them of price gouging because you don’t even believe me when I tell you how cheap their lube is.

Someone else posted a quote to make his case and you called him a liar.

Someone else joins in on the only light part of the thread (joking about cheap lube) and you say “pathetic.”

So, the way I read you is that you think all the UW equipment companies are gougers and/or liars. People that try to show you where you may be wrong must be lying and people that try to inject a little humor into an overheated discussion are pathetic.

I don’t think I want to discuss things with you anymore.

Back
Top Bottom