Great Barrier Reef - what are the options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Asking for a non-diver friend who is trying to arrange a trip for her experienced diver parents.

After a bit of advice from me, would like some advice on two different options

1. Short stay liveaboard options where they can choose their length of stay (they may choose 1, 2 or 3 nights). Probably one that is moored at the outer reef and transfers by shuttle. I would like to know the options leaving from Cairns or Brisbane. Thinking there must be an option for a double bed.

2. Land based options for dive shops. Is it better to dive from Cairns or Brisbane?

I'm not sure what there budget is but I doubt it's a big factor.

Hayman Island Resort

Not necessarily a recommendation, however I stayed at this resort about twenty years ago (back then it was either a Hyatt or a Marriott, can't really recall). They offer diving, with trips out to the GBR on a pretty big boat.

If budget isn't a factor, this might be an option (note, their website said they are currently closed, but wasn't sure what your timeframe was).

Although it was some time ago, I dove with Diver's Den out of Cairns. They had a liveaboard out on the reef and you could stay for a day or several days. It was a fun experience and triggered my desire to get into underwater imaging again.

Cairns - LOBs tend to leave from there plus you can hire a car and drive down and dive the Yongala at Ayre.

Spirit of Freedom has a 3 or 4 day option. It either leaves from Cairns directly onto the boat (first half) or you leave front Cairns on a charter plane to Lizard Island (second half) depending on whether you do the first part or latter part of the week. Alrernaitvely, you can do both and that is when you depart from Cairns directly onto the boat and do the 7 days and get off when it returns to Cairns rather. The latter half of the week is outer GBR and Coral Sea/Osprey Reef. The first half is mostly the ribbon reefs, cod hole.

They have double bed options in their cabin. I was in one but had the top bunk over it.

I am Cairns based and the best diving is really over night trips. You cant really compare Brisbane to Cairns as its very different diving

There are some decent day trips and I would look at Tusa or Reef Quest as 2 of the better ones. You need to get to the Outer Reef at least and as mentioned above look at Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom as the 2 best trips to see the GBR for anyone experienced. They take you to more remote and unspoiled areas. Book out months in advance but would be top pick.

If you wanted shorter over night trips then Reef Encounter or Ocean Quest stay on the Reef and have daily transfers so you can do 1, 2 or 3 nights. Both decent sites and beautiful vessels too.

I would really recommend spirit or mike ball. Yes it is more expensive but it is absolutely worth it.

There was a trip review recently where someone went with the cheaper boats and were really disappointed. Unfortunately they didn’t take the advice, or weren’t able to and just wanted to dive. Newer divers will still enjoy the cheaper trips, but those with a few dives under their belt will likely find it a bit ho hum.

I dive Reef Encounter relatively regularly. It's easier diving that Spirit of Freedom and Spoilsport. It appeals to us as we can do times that suit our schedules. I do recommend the Top Deck package for a personalised guide and other benefits. About half the rooms on board are double beds.

i was in Cairns about a month ago and stayed on Fitzroy island at the resort there for a week they have a dive center and some amazing snorkeling. you can dive straight off the beach and into some beautiful stuff, i managed to see 3 sharks 2 turtles and a ray off the beach snorkeling.

while there i went out for a day on the reef with 3 dives with Tusa dive and had an amazing time they dont pick up from fitzroy which is annoying but i think the Fitzroy dive center who are part of Cairns dive center were saying that CDC will pickup from the island. but as we were staying in the city for the weekend after the time on the island that was fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom