Great Hammerhead Approaches to bait box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks very irresponsible.

-Z

Those are shark divers they avoid the shark to open the bait box and create havoc is a technique with limited feeding to keep the sharks calm
Tiger Beach Bahamas

They just look like irresponsible divers that are putting themselves between predator and the bait box to purposefully cause the need to interact with the sharks, There seemed to be a lot of unnecessary hands on the shark moments depicted in the vid and with the people around the periphery I can only imagine that whomever this operator is does this on regular basis to create the shark diving experience for their clientele. That's all good until it isn't. When these predators decide not shy away from divers because they have become familiar with them and someone is attacked will this operator and other's like it take accountability for the result? Or will they just shut up and continue counting the money they made creating the mess in the first place? I see a lot of entertainment in the video and very little conservation. Shameful, disrespectful of the animals and their potential, and is nothing that should be glamorized or promoted.

-Z

They just look like irresponsible divers that are putting themselves between predator and the bait box to purposefully cause the need to interact with the sharks, There seemed to be a lot of unnecessary hands on the shark moments depicted in the vid and with the people around the periphery I can only imagine that whomever this operator is does this on regular basis to create the shark diving experience for their clientele. That's all good until it isn't. When these predators decide not shy away from divers because they have become familiar with them and someone is attacked will this operator and other's like it take accountability for the result? Or will they just shut up and continue counting the money they made creating the mess in the first place? I see a lot of entertainment in the video and very little conservation. Shameful, disrespectful of the animals and their potential, and is nothing that should be glamorized or promoted.

-Z

How much experience do you have on this type of dives?

There are 3 approaches to baited dive

1. Let the bait box alone you can only do it in drift dives like in South Africa.
2. Actively feed the sharks by hand with the box on the bottom. Used in Bahamas extensively
3. Put the bait box on a float and goal keep the bait box with the minimum required feeding (this approach)

If the bait box is left to the sharks this becomes an unsafe situation as the start biting each other and get very excited so the dive lasts 5 minute and is not safe to stay in the water

In method 2 you have risks when the bait is finished as the sharks go looking for food from the non trained divers

Having experienced all 3 I would say this method is the most controlled, the drift dive is good however occasionally the shark opens the bait box and it becomes a mess while you are drifting. Method 2 is the worst especially at the end of the dive

Then everyone is entitled an opinion but the chances of seeing a tiger or great hammerhead without bait are next to zero

I've done an awful lot of hand feeding of Hammerheads in Bimini and we never had encounters where the feeder or photographer had to put their hand out to stop the shark dead on the most sensitive part of their snout to turn the shark.

I do not like this method of encounter. Not impressed at all.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Remember that this is the subforum for dive videography and not for dive philosophies

How much experience do you have on this type of dives?

There are 3 approaches to baited dive

1. Let the bait box alone you can only do it in drift dives like in South Africa.
2. Actively feed the sharks by hand with the box on the bottom. Used in Bahamas extensively
3. Put the bait box on a float and goal keep the bait box with the minimum required feeding (this approach)

If the bait box is left to the sharks this becomes an unsafe situation as the start biting each other and get very excited so the dive lasts 5 minute and is not safe to stay in the water

In method 2 you have risks when the bait is finished as the sharks go looking for food from the non trained divers

Having experienced all 3 I would say this method is the most controlled, the drift dive is good however occasionally the shark opens the bait box and it becomes a mess while you are drifting. Method 2 is the worst especially at the end of the dive

Then everyone is entitled an opinion but the chances of seeing a tiger or great hammerhead without bait are next to zero
How about just not baiting and feeding sharks? It’s not natural behavior and nothing good can come of it - except for someone wanting to get some cool pics.

How about just not baiting and feeding sharks? It’s not natural behavior and nothing good can come of it - except for someone wanting to get some cool pics.

as the staff mentioned this is not about philosophy of diving is about videography so maybe some critique on the technique used is what am after otherwise I would write in other section on this forum

Besides without the smell of food sharks do not come anywhere near humans even if you are in the same area. So the bait does not alter the ecosystem just calls the shark to come near you so you can watch them. Without this system there would not be any footage or photos of certain larger sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom