Great Lakes Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TB
EB Allen - didn't get to do this one due to conditions
Grecian
Montana
DM Wilson - my favorite wreck of the entire trip
Monohansett (even though it's only 18ft deep, the prop is awesome)
Lucinda Van Valkenburg

The NOAA Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary website is down because of the gov't shutdown. This is a decent resource instead Wreck Sites

Straits
Cedarville
William H. Barnum
Eber Ward
William Young

Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve

Book your charters now. Things fill up fast. Depending on the size of your group, you may even be able to book the whole boat (usually 6 packs). That's what I did with my TB trip in August and what I'm doing for my Straits trip this coming June .

For Alpena, stay at the Days Inn. Very nice and reasonably priced. You also need to book hotels early.

EDIT: for other areas, depending on timing and such, you can drive down to Sanilac and dive the DRIS boat Go Between. Sanilac is halfway up Michigan's Thumb. I can recommend the Regina and the Mary Alice B.
For Thunder Bay some additional detail:
Thunder Bay (Alpena, MI)
NOAA Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary shipwrecks
Wreck Sites
Numbers in parenthesis are location number on 'Wreck Sites' website
EB Allen (37) 100 feet
Grecian (20) 100 feet
Montana (22) 70 feet
DM Wilson (48) 45 feet
Monohansett (41) 18 feet
Lucinda Van Valkenburg (47) 61 feet

ShipWrecks_Map1.jpg

TB
EB Allen - didn't get to do this one due to conditions
Grecian
Montana
DM Wilson - my favorite wreck of the entire trip
Monohansett (even though it's only 18ft deep, the prop is awesome)
Lucinda Van Valkenburg

The NOAA Thunder Bay Marine Sanctuary website is down because of the gov't shutdown. This is a decent resource instead Wreck Sites

Straits
Cedarville
William H. Barnum
Eber Ward
William Young

Book your charters now. Things fill up fast. Depending on the size of your group, you may even be able to book the whole boat (usually 6 packs). That's what I did with my TB trip in August and what I'm doing for my Straits trip this coming June .

For Alpena, stay at the Days Inn. Very nice and reasonably priced. You also need to book hotels early.

EDIT: for other areas, depending on timing and such, you can drive down to Sanilac and dive the DRIS boat Go Between. Sanilac is halfway up Michigan's Thumb. I can recommend the Regina and the Mary Alice B.
Additional information for Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve
Mackinaw City, MI

Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve Association

Cedarville 40-110 feet
William H. Barnum 50-75 feet
Eber Ward 110-140 feet
William Young 105-125 feet
Sandusky 70-84 feet

Michigan Underwater Preserves Divers Guide (Page 40)
MUPC-Divers-Guide-Page40.jpg

I've dove the straits several times and echo Marie's advice to book very early for that time of year. We stay at the Best Western Harbour Pointe which had a big free breakfast, great value rooms and good views. That time of year can have dense fog too.

I enjoyed the newer (?) Cedarville but my favorite was the Sandusky with it's hand carved railings and bow spirit. I live in Florida and Marie is bad arze to dive that wet. I dove it in my drysuit and still my face and fingers froze after 30 mins. The schooners are just perfectly preserved from hundreds of years ago, bring a good camera !!

View attachment 497124
Both of these sites sound like good destinations for Dry suit diving in preparation for diving Scapa Flow.
Scapa Flow is in the Orkney Islands of Scotland. This was where the German fleet was scuttled after World War I by the German Admiral Ludwig von Reuter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom