Great Lakes OP & wreck recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We have 2 back to back weekends we have to be in Cincy this September, and therefore thought what better way to spend the week in between than heading up to the Great Lakes.

We'd be looking to do wrecks in the 100-150 foot range. Prefer wrecks with a bit of history to them.

As far as ops, we'd like a liveaboard/bunk aboard. We both dive doubles + a deco bottle, so an op that has deck space would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We have 2 back to back weekends we have to be in Cincy this September, and therefore thought what better way to spend the week in between than heading up to the Great Lakes.

We'd be looking to do wrecks in the 100-150 foot range. Prefer wrecks with a bit of history to them.

As far as ops, we'd like a liveaboard/bunk aboard. We both dive doubles + a deco bottle, so an op that has deck space would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

http://www.rectecdivecharters.com/bio.html

The best Operation I've been on. Tech friendly and a bunch of great wrecks nearby.

The Dunderburg is awesome. You can look on Gary's site for more wrecks that interest you.

In Alpena (Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary) we have quit a few beautiful wrecks in the 145 to 180 range, we have three charters capable of supporting tech divers, and another that runs out of Rogers City.

Local Dive Charters also
Thunder Bay Scuba

There are no liveaboards operating on the Great Lakes that I'm aware of. My recommendation would be the wrecks off of Presque Isle. They are some of the best in all the Great Lakes and are in the 150 to 180 range. Here are links to a couple of charters that actively dive these wrecks. You can find some nice pictures on their web sites.
Shipwreck Adventures
Shipwreck Explorers

How far do you want do travel from Cincy? Pt. Sanilac may be the closest. That would be around 6-7 hours from Cincy. Most charters do not dive during the week, especially in September when the weather is changing. You may want to contact Rick at Bruno's dive shop and discuss the cost of a mid week charter.

Good luck. Best bet is to get this planned now. Diving on the Great Lakes is outstanding. Keep in mind that charter season is very short in our neck of the woods and September can be very iffy with the seasonal change.

Bus

There are liveaboards servicing Isle Royale.

I forgot about IR (3 liveaboards there that I'm familiar with). The dawnlight used to come over from tobermory, but she was sold a few years back. If you don't mind going a bit deeper, then I would still recommend Presque Isle, if your staying in the 100 to 150 range then you wouldn't be dissapointed with the straits, thunder bay, sanilac shores or the thumb preserve. Have fun wherever you go.

Thanks! We're good with a days drive (10 hours or so) from Cincy.

The Dawnlight is the boat I used my last trip up there, and why I'd love to stick to a liveaboard type boat. Nothing better than a hot meal waiting for you after a cold dive.

We know we are kind of pushing the season with our dates, but if we can make it happen would love to get back to the lakes!

My recommendation would be the wrecks off of Presque Isle. They are some of the best in all the Great Lakes and are in the 150 to 180 range.

I would LOVE to have folks come up and discover Thunder Bay Underwater Preserve & National Marine Sanctuary but the wrecks off of Presque Isle, while being the best collection of wooden wrecks in the world IMHO, are out of the depth range of the OP.

There is the 1905 New Orleans in about 130' and the Audubon in 165' that can be dove at 150' easily up there, and there's a small dump barge that I want to get on yet in 130'. In the Sanctuary proper there is the Grecian, EB Allen, Nordmeer, DM Wilson, Barge #1, Montana that are all fine dives in 100' or less. And the Middle Island Sink Hole 75' is a real cool dive as well.

Oh, and did I not mention? I will be running charters myself as well as setting them up for Capt. Frank and Capt. Mike. My web site is due for a major overhaul, which is happening, but you can go to www.TBscuba.com/WreckSites.html to check out what we have.

Thanks! We're good with a days drive (10 hours or so) from Cincy.

The Dawnlight is the boat I used my last trip up there, and why I'd love to stick to a liveaboard type boat. Nothing better than a hot meal waiting for you after a cold dive.

We know we are kind of pushing the season with our dates, but if we can make it happen would love to get back to the lakes!

I miss the Dawn Light. Any you! :( So sad seeing it for sale once again the last time I was in Tobermory.

Paula

Back
Top Bottom